biodiesel

Anybody run 100% biodiesel in newer (2000 and up) TDIs? Just wondering if it works in the cars as is or if modifications of some kind are needed. Chuck

Reply to
JensenC

are we talking about B20 Biodiesel or used vegetable oil??? I've heard, "just heard" that the only problems with the TDI's are fuel pump related but I'd investigate further. I'd assume that B20 would be fine.

Reply to
HotRod

Not veggie oil. B100 or 100% biodiesel is what I'm refering to. It's rather an academic question because I haven't seen B100 available.

Reply to
JensenC

Does B20 mean 80% regular diesel and 20% bio? I have a TDI but have not used anything other than regular diesel.

Reply to
Numan

I have not run the 100% although it is available locally if I want to go out of my way to get it. I did run a tank of the B20, 20% biodiesel. It was 50 cents more per gallon and my mileage went down. I decided that it was not worth going out of my way to get it on a regular basis. However, the local distributor will deliver it in 55 gallon drums to my house. It still was not worth the price. My owners manual says I can run B100 without any modifications.

Tom

Reply to
Tom R.

I think the biggest problem with any of this is cold weather, if you are going to try it try it in the summer not the winter.

Reply to
HotRod

I have heard that VWoA is doing some testing on the bio stuff, but not sure what % will be OK.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Wouldn't the only reason to use BioDiesel be that it is cheaper? Hmmm. I guess they need to work on that.

Reply to
Numan

I would guess you are not into recycling either.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

"JensenC" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@enews3.newsguy.com:

FWIW - back before prices went through the frickin' roof I ran a bunch of tanks of B20 over a 6-8 month period. There was a station right near work and it was generally around the same price (sometimes even cheaper) than the truck stop diesel. I had no problems at all, and got roughly the same mileage as 100% dead dinosaur. Then my office moved and it was 15 miles out of my way to get it, so back to regular diesel.

One of the co-ops in the area has started selling B100, but it's more than a dollar a gallon more than diesel. I'm all for recycling, and do my fair share, but my family has to eat. That's a difference of $14 on a full tank (2002 Beetle). I can feed my family two dinners at home for that money.

Just my 1/50th of a U.S. Dollar.

jeff

Reply to
J.S.User

It may be cheaper than fossil fuel soon enough. When you count the indirect cost of fossil fuel (dependence on middle east, war, ravaging our landscape, damaged aquafers, etc.) biodiesel is much cheaper. Yes, we will pay the price, we just don't like to count the cost. Chuck

Reply to
JensenC

Yeah, I agree. B100 is too expensive right now, although hopefully it will remain stable when DD100 (100% dead dinosaur) gets up around $4+. Seems that it all diesel sold was B20 to B50 for a majority of trucks, buses, and heavy equipment it would make a substantial reduction in the need for foreign oil. Chuck

Reply to
JensenC

Maybe, maybe not. How much fuel is required to grow the grain that produces the oil? How much to transport it? How much to refine it? If you're using recycled veggie oil, how much does energy does it take to transport it, clean it, refine it and blend it? And what kind of environmental impact is there in converting native scrub and prairie with irrigated fields? And how much energy to pump the water? ANd how much damage to the ecosystem by depletion of the aquifer? It's a complicated issue. I'd love to run greasel, but only because it's pure recycling (only straining out the pieces of french fries). But that oughtta be dirt cheap. You get what you pay for, I suppose. But don't pretend there's no environmental problems with running biodiesel.

Reply to
starburst

I just walk out to the barn and I can see a 50 gallon drum of B100 - made it myself. Here's a couple of sites you might wanna see:

Drew Parsons

Think of it this way, if farmers were growing soy to make oil, they could use veg powered equipment to farm it. They're not making money growing wheat and corn at a couple dollars a bushel, but they could be profitable producing oil, then distribution networks could be created using veg powered trucks that produce far less pollutants.

Brazil is instituting 2% diesel for all consumption, and lots of people are being put to work and making much more than the average wage. If we had something similar our reliance on fossil oil would be reduced, and farmers could make a profit without relying on government handouts from the tax base. In turn, production costs would be less than oil, and prices lower at the pump (less than $50 a barrell to produce, oil prices are now higher).

Reply to
Thomas Curmudgeon

VW has run test and issued a statement on their site. They said we can use B5 only and further test are being conducted for future engines. Here is their quote:

As a result of a major joint research project between the Volkswagen Group and the prominent agricultural products firm Archer Daniels Midland Company, and improvements in the specifications for biodiesel fuel in North America, Volkswagen has determined that diesel fuel containing up to five percent biodiesel meets the technical specifications for Volkswagen vehicles equipped with TDI engines imported to the United States. Therefore, the diesel fuel commonly known as "B5 biodiesel" is acceptable for use in all our TDI vehicles.

The Link:

Cecil

05 Passat TDI
Reply to