blower not working, 1998 passat UK

It has climate control, ac system is working (pipe gets cold) but fan does not blow. Climate panel flashes at startup. Any clues? Is this something I can use a VagCom for? Where's the connector?

Many thanks

Reply to
ib

scan 08 and see what faults you have.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck

How is the blower fuse? [#25]

Reply to
Madesio

Blower fuse is fine (is also supplies the AC system which is working)

Reply to
ib

Connect your Vag-Com cable to the OBD diagnostic connector and you will be able to access the heating/ac electronics system. The flashing panel on startup indicates a system fault.

Reply to
Madesio

So the blower does work then since the A/C works?

If the blower does not work at all at any speed, check the wires at the blower and work your way back. Might be a connector that might be burnt causing the problem.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

AC works, i.e. compressor runs, lp pipe gets cold. But the fan in the car is not blowing the cold air out.

How do I get at the fan? I took most of the glovebox screws out, but glovebox did not want to shift, doesn't look like it's at the back of the engine bay.

Thanks

Reply to
ib

Here is a TSB on using the updated blower

I don't know how to get to the blower since I have not had to do that yet. I recommend that you get a repair manual, at least a Haynes but the better one is the Bentley. Yes I believe you attack it behind the glove box.

Maybe you can search here for a DIY

dave AKA vwdoc1

I would consider the switch. It is probably easier to access.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

Which switch? The car has climate control, there's only an electronic "up / down" control, which reflects in the display, so I don't think it's that.

Thanks all to all the suggestions.

Reply to
ib