blown head gasket?

Well, maybe I DO have a blown head gasket... There is NO sign of compression gases coming up in the radiator, no sign of coolant in the oil... no sign of oil leaking out (other than at the valve cover)... but the coolant is kind of milkshake like... I know when coolant mixes in with the oil it gets that way, but is it true the opposite way around? the coolant appears normal when it's cool, but if I open the radiator when it is hot it's really frothy.... Car seems to run fine other than a few second delay when I turn the key on, and ONE time it didnt want to start on the first try... but I drove it 40 miles today with no problems... what do you think?

Reply to
VWGirl

My '92 Passat 2.0 16V did that with a blown head gasket...actually the car ran great, but there was a leak in the gasket at the oil passages up to the head. It also leaked oil and I thought it was the valve cover.

Mt '95 VR6 blew the oil cooler and turned the coolant into a chocolate milk shake as well.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible (Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley)
Reply to
Ron /Champ 6

that's the thing... the oil level isnt dropping, so i dont know where the oil is coming from... unless it is a really slow leak... this car only has

57,000 miles on it even though it's an 82 jetta. I know the valve cover is leaking... it has to be,,, the oil is running down the engine and there is more at the valve cover than there is at the head gasket...

I guess I will break down and change it... just hoping it's not a "blown head" as I was told when I purchased the car...

Reply to
VWGirl

I have a 92 jetta that had a similar problem. I had two mechanics tell me i had a blown head gasket because there was oil leaking all over the place in the front of the block. Since the oil dripped down into the where the block meets the head it looked like it was coming from the head gasket. I went ahead and decided to start off by just changing the valve cover and top seals and now all the oil leak is gone, the old oil accumulated there is drying up. If you do change the valve cover gasket make sure you also change the other smaller seals that come with the valve cover gasket, and make sure you do not overtighten as you can simply break the gasket. If your car was not overheated severely and/if you have always run it with enough coolant your head gasket should be fine. Usually compression in coolant is the sign of a bad head gasket but since you do not have it I would assume your head gasket is fine.

Reply to
nltankontop

I just bought the car... it had 57,086 miles on it when i bought it (yes it is an 82 and these are original 57k miles)... so i have NO idea what it's history really is other than it was barely driven. I have driven about 50 miles with no problems... but since i was told when i purchased the car that it had a blown head... and found it to be 2 qts low on oil (but oil not milky) and then after driving it 50 miles the coolant is kind of frothy... I am concerned that the gasket IS blown... and in FL it is HOT in the summer and I don't want to cause damage to such a "young" car... so I ordered the head set and bolts today... did not order the valve cover gasket (hoping it is in the set)... was also suggested that i go ahead and replace the timing belt... due to age rather than mileage... but if i start replacing everything due to age i will have a new car in my hands...

Reply to
VWGirl

YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE HEAD GASKET. MAYBE YOU ARE GETTING A INSIGNIFICANT AMOUNT OF OIL WITH THE COOLANT. I RECOMMEND TO CHANG GASKET From VWsport.com NNTP Gateway

Reply to
vwjowo