Blown head gasket?

1999 VW Beetle 2.0 154K: last week the alternator went out, then I stalled. Wondering if I did damage to the engine by running off the battery? I replaced alternator and battery. The bug is running sluggish. When I accelerate it lags for a few seconds, when I downshift or get off the pedal the same. I thought it was bad gas, so I added Sea Foam to the gas. Slight improvement. I checked the dip stick, oil is good. I inspected the oil cap, light green oil under the cap, same around the inside rim. If it's the the gasket, what needs to be replaced? cost?
Reply to
86GolfDiesel

Often, when voltage is lost, the throttle valve needs to be adapted. This could cause sluggishness and other problems. Any other (seemingly unrelated) systems having problems?

Reply to
LG

What LG said and if it has an automatic transmission, then it too can be adjusted via a vag-com tool If not then the trans will have to relearn over time.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

yes, it's a manual transmission. So to understand, I'll I do is continue to drive and sluggishness will decrease? With the oil cap issue, is the color of the oil cap a concern? blown gasket?

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

No only the automatic transmissions need resetting. The manual transmission is not that smart. ;-)

Are you losing the pink coolant? Did the Engine Check Light come on? Check for Diagnostic Trouble Codes stored in the computer. Did you check the condition of the spark plugs and the air filter? Maybe the fuel filter is partially clogged? Maybe the fuel pressure regulator is leaking? Or there might be small vacuum leaks.