Brake light on dash

I have a 98 VW Jetta. I bought the car with 54k miles on the car. I paid pretty high for the car so I figured that the car over all had to of been In pretty good condition. The problem that I am running into is that once you start the car the brake light comes on. The weird thing about it is when you pull on the E brake the light comes on bright. When you start the car and it comes on like I'm telling you the light doesnt look half as bright. And when that light is on the electrical system doesnt work. AC Wipers etc. Help what can I do?

Reply to
Shawn Hoetger

I am going to suspect there is a ground problem somewhere. I would connect the car frame to the engine block, since that is a place where I have seen the ground go bad. You can use a jumper cable to make the connection to see if the symptom goes away. If it does, think about a more permanent arrangement.

This may not be the case for you, but it seems worth a try. You could also use a volt meter and look for voltage between various grounds. If you find voltage, you found a problem.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

and check the sensor in the reservoir or cap!

dave

Reply to
Rob Guenther