brake light switch/recall/vw service

Hi all,

On 5/12/04, someone posted about a recall for 99-02 Jetta's w/cruise re: the brake light switch... I filed it under "better take a look" and promptly forgot about it. No recall notice has come in the mail as of

6/14/04 and we are the original owners of the car.

Anyhoo, I drove my wife's 02 Jetta wagon to work today and noticed that the cruise control didn't work. Uh-oh. Sure enough, no brake lights either. I wonder how long she's been driving it that way.

I called my VW dealer at 8:30 this morning and they said to come in at 11. I got there a bit early and dropped the car off at 10:35 am. It was finished just a bit less than an hour later, as promised (Garnet VW in Chadd's Ford, PA).

These little problems are annoying and inconvenient, but so far, only to a minor degree. In a bit over 2 years and 25k miles, I've had the coil pack recall (no failure) and this brake light switch failure. I'm less pleased about this one obviously, since it put my family at risk. I'm an idiot for not checking when I saw the post, but I still haven't received anything from VW about it and that concerns me. All in all, I'm getting what I expected from VW so far, but I don't look forward to having something fail on a weekend while on vacation... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Here is that post again (originally posted by Bob - jetta snipped-for-privacy@vw.com):

Be advised that if you haven't received it already, a recall notification is headed your way if you own a 1999-2002 Jetta WITH CRUISE CONTROL. Safety Recall "WX" was issued (April 2004) to check/replace the brake light switch "that may malfunction, causing the brake lights to become inoperative or to come on and stay on, even though the vehicle is parked. Failure to provide the proper signal when braking could lead to a crash without warning."

If you own such a vehicle and aren't notified, contact: Customer CARE Center (WX) 3499 West Hamlin Road Rochester Hills, MI 48309 1.800.893.5298

Don't be a moron like me and procrastinate. If you have a 99-02 w/cruise, check your brake lights now.

Craig

Reply to
Craig Faison