Brake lights constant on

-'01 GTI-

I was just informed by a coworker that my brake lights were on. I went to check and yep, they are on and won't go out. Car is completely off, lights are off, etc. Other than perhaps the switch connected to the brake pedal, any other reasons this might happen, though I think the switch is the likely culprit. If so, is it easy to fix/replace or should I head on over to VW?

TIA,

Phil

Reply to
philt2112

I agree that it is probably the switch. It is easy to replace, but expect to twist your body into funny shapes to get access to it. Unplug the wires going to it first, if the brake lights stay on the switch is not to blame. If the lights turn off, you need a new switch.

On my '87 GTi I replaced the switch a few years back. It took me a while to understand how to adjust the new switch. Don't know if you need to do this, but on mine I had to adjust the plunger length to get the right distance to the brake pedal. It was as simple as brutally pulling the plunger out or pushing it into the switch, beyond its normal spring loaded travel. There are indents to keep it in the position you leave it.

Perhaps your switch is work>

Reply to
Randolph

I called two dealers who both said I would have to leave it with them. I will drop it off in the morning. Meanwhile, I want to pull the fuse for the brake lights so my battery won't get sucked dry. Problem is that the manual does not lay out the position of specific fuses and the card in the fuse box only has cryptic icons that correspond to fuse numbers. Anyone happen to know which fuse controls the brake lights on a 2001 GTI?

Reply to
philt2112

Wouldn't you know it, number 13.

Reply to