Brake Question For Newer Model VW's

I took my '04 Passat Wagon to the dealership for its 30000 mile service,and they had to replace the rear brake pads and rotors.When checking in,I had told them about a "rubbery" smell coming from the rear wheels.The front pads and rotors are still the factory installed ones.Since brake wear and tear is not covered under VW's warranty,the bill came to $500+ (for the entire service).I asked the service advisor,why the rear brakes would be worn out after 32000 miles while the front brakes are just fine.In my opinion,front brakes wear out 2-3 times faster than rear,so in this case,it would have been a manufacturer's defect,and covered under warranty.The service advisor told me,that VW sets its brakes to put more brake power to the rear wheels (in models '90 or '91 and newer),so the front end doesn't dive,when hitting the brakes.Plus,he added,that I was lucky that the rear brakes lasted this long,because usually,they're out after 16-18000 miles.I basically told him,that he's full of it and filed a complaint with VW "customer service".So,before I write letters to corporate,I thought I'd check,if anyone knows about this supposed brake setting,that send more brake power to the rear wheels and wears them out by at least 2to1 over the front brakes. Btw: overall I'm very happy with the car (GLX 2.8 V6,5spd),with the exception of the rear brakes ,of course.The wagon drives and handles great,got plenty of power for that type of car,has all the options I want,all for a very reasonable price.BUT: my local dealers (south Orange County,CA.) are the worst dealers/repair shops/automotive businesses I've dealt with in my life.Non-existing service and arrogance beyond believe are the norm (and VW's customer service is not much better),and based on that,I doubt,that there will be a another VW in my life (I've had probably 6 or 7 before this one). So,if someone could fill me in on the brake settings,I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Reply to
mazengniefsmutz

Not sure about your particular model but our 01 Jetta GLS wears the rears out 3 to 1 compared to the fronts. I'm told by many folks that this is common in newer VW's.

About the arrogance, I'm not sure it's arrogance or stupidity. VW has lost over a billion dollars each year for several years and their sales are down significantly from 01. The parts counterman where I go for parts said they are moving into a smaller building because their sales are so low.

I've encountered the arrogance also, the arrogance is to cover their stupidity as the last thing on their minds is customer service! Also, in some cases I'm sure they just don't know how to solve the problem.

Reply to
Diarmud387

I'm no so sure I'd say he's full of it. This is consistent with what I've heard over on various VW Eurovan boards regarding Eurovans from '01 to '03, and many late-model VW owners have reported this as well in Jettas, GTIs, etc.

Reply to
Matt B.

They put soft pads on the rear on purpose. The reason is because harder longer lasting pads will squeal. Trust me I tried it on my 99.5 jetta. What I've got a problem with is the $500 you paid. I got two rotors for about $40 each and pads for a like price. The rotors could of most likely been turned for around $10 each. They are not hard to put on and at that young age there should be no major work involved.

Service advisors are in training to be used car sales people and very few of them know what they're talking about.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I have a 2001 Passat GLX AUTO. My rear brakes were first done at about

20k and next at around 60k (the fronts are still ok, having lasted 45k miles so far). Several people have written to this forum to complain that the rears are wearing before the fronts. Frankly I don't understand why it matters. One has to wear out first and in the VW case it is the rear brakes. count yourself lucky if your brakes always perform well between services. Some people have had trouble with pulsing brakes 'warped rotors' which I do consider to be a defect and not a normal case.

my two cents.

snipped-for-privacy@cox.net wrote:

Reply to
Mark

You're correct.It doesn't really matter which one wears out first.I was just surprised,that it happened that way (never happened on any other vehicle I've owned) and thought,it might have been an excuse by the dealer to avoid having to do the repair under warranty.

Reply to
mazengniefsmutz

$500 was the total cost of the service.$150 for two rotors,$60 for pads,$180 for brake labor,$99 for 30K service plus tax etc.

Reply to
mazengniefsmutz

Many newer cars are wearing the rear brakes first. The design can determine which brakes get the most use.

Now about dealer service. Dealers are no better (or worse) than independent mechanics for almost anything you might need done on your car. They will almost always charge more per hour and often more for parts and supplies. They also tend to look at repairs a little different than the independent.

A dealer may well recommend work that strictly may not be needed, but could be connected to the problem or maybe replace a part when a little repair would fix it ALMOST as good a new.

There is no need to bring your car to the dealer for any service other than service that is going to be paid for by a recall or original warrantee.

I suggest that most people would be better off finding a good independent (Not working for a chain) mechanic.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Not a Passat but just got new rear breaks on my 02 Jetta TDI - at 90K miles.

JEB

Reply to
JEB

I had the same issue on my 2000 Passat! The root-cause of the issue are the brake rotors. They cause the rear brakes to wear out faster than the front. Replacing the rear brake rotors will make your rear brakes last longer.

This is an important issue because it isn't normal for ANY car to have its rear brakes wear out faster than the front brakes. Most of the weight is on the front brakes, thus why they SHOULD wear out sooner.

The counter guy was telling you a crock of crap because he's defending VW as a corporation, and avoiding a bigger issue of you getting this work done for free. The rear rotors are not maufactured correctly. Besides, the rear brakes being pressurized higher (working harder than the front brakes) would still make car dive forward.

Reply to
croexican