Brakelight switch recall failure and dealer wigout!

My current brake light switch on my 2000 Beetle 1.8T which was replaced in the recall last year started to fail so I brought my car into vw service. I was told that because it has been 13 months since the recall work, I would ordinarily have to pay for this out of my pocket, but they would talk to the service manager to see if he would authorize a "good will" free of charge repair. Which they said he would probably do. Before I tell the rest of the story, Do they usually make you pay for a safety recall part that has refailed? Do brake light switches go out often?

When I talked to the service manager he declined to give me the good will repair because I was 27 days past the 12 month replacement parts warranty and that I past the 12,000 mi deadline although It had really been 10,000 mi. When I pointed out that I have had all my service work performed at this dealership since I bought the car there. He replied that with my bad track record with them that it didn't matter. When I asked him to clarify he said that I only have the free stuff done there. I pointed out that I have paid for all my oil changes and and have also paid for other services. He then told me about last October, when while having the recalled o2 sensor replaced, he as a then service writer told me I needed front brakes, a serpentine belt and a fuel filter and that I declined to have those repaired. This is true but, I had these repairs done at a independent vw mechanic for 5 times cheaper! So It seems like he is mad at me and punishing me for taking my car somewhere else for service! I am currently in touch with VW customer service but they don't seem like they will be any help. Has anyone else had any situations like this? This dealer has totally lost my business not only for service but also for sales.

I would have thought that VW would stand behind a recalled part better. If it was a part that was recalled because it was prone to failure, shouldn't it still be covered if it fails again?

Is there anywhere else in VW to contact about this besides customer care at 1-800-822-8987?

Reply to
lolajoker