Brakes (Pads, Rotors)

I am looking to replace Pads and Rotors(front and rear). Should I get those parts from VW or I can buy online e.g. OEM or generic. Would there be any difference as far as life of the rotor/pad goes. I am looking to get some thing which last minimum of 30,000 miles. Please advice

Reply to
Rollers Loft+

|I am looking to replace Pads and Rotors(front and rear). Should I get |those parts from VW or I can buy online e.g. OEM or generic. Would |there be any difference as far as life of the rotor/pad goes. I am |looking to get some thing which last minimum of 30,000 miles. Please |advice

We installed Raybestos Premium Grade (Blue Box) at about 50K miles. We're at

88K and lots of pad left. Rex in Fort Worth
Reply to
Rex B

You'll get better answers if you include the type of car you're asking about.

I replaced my front pads (B4; '97 Passat GLX) with a set that I got from these folks:

(No association with these folks, other thanas a customer.)

It's been a while, but IIRC, they were reasonably priced and are still on the car from when I put them on in Sep02. I don't remember what the mileage was then, but it's probably been 15K at least and the last time I looked, they were still in fine shape. Car has 68K and is still on the original rotors. Easy to do the fronts, but you'll need to read up before attacking the rear. (Assuming your car is like mine.)

You can't just compress the caliper on the rear because it has to rotate as it goes in and out of the cylinder. Sounds tricky, but there's a tool to do it with, or if you do a little research, you'll find that lots of people have documented improvised techniques and/or tools that work besides the VW one.

trebor

Reply to
trebor4258

Get aftermarket. Dealers are usually quite overpriced on parts. There's no compelling reason to get genuine VW when it comes to brakes.

Reply to
Matt B.

I own a 2001 Golf TDI and know of two people who sell great VW parts at really good prices. Both these guys are honest and very pleasant to deal with. I recently replaced all my car's rotors and brakes using Pagid pads and Brembo rotors, but there are many companies that make OEM parts for VW.

and

Wild Rose Motors, Ltd.

15308 S. Wilkie Ave. Gardena,CA 90249 (310) 721-4867 Leonard F. Harview (Harvieux)

snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net

Reply to
Ken Sternberg

Thanks guys, I have 99 VW Jetta - Wolfsburg (old body style) 2.0L.

Reply to
Rollers Loft+