Buzzy Passat 1.8t engine

I traded last June my accord 2000 for a 2004 Passat 1.8t manual. The passat is fun to drive. That small engine pull like a v6. However I found the engine induce severe vibration (couple hundred hertz) in steering wheel at 100 km/h. When I turn off the engine at 100km/h these vibrations disappear !

Dealer call this normal road vibration. I strongly disagree ! I never had a

4 cyl engine doing this. It is not acceptable !
Reply to
Hengfrom

I just would you would stop asking the same questions every few weeks. It may very well be normal. Have you asked the dealer to drive another Passat with same engine, same transmission, same options, and compare the two? Or you could always buy another Honda?

Reply to
Woodchuck

what gear are you in? what is the tach reading?

Reply to
StyxNStones®

? don't know what you mean ?

"Woodchuck" a écrit dans le message de news:414c7cc0$0$250$ snipped-for-privacy@reader.city-net.com...

Reply to
Hengfrom

in 5 th ! in 4th, the problem is not much apparent !

"StyxNStones®" a écrit dans le message de news:p%23d.213824$Fg5.57396@attbi_s53...

Reply to
Hengfrom

Perhaps the secondary air pump is kicking in for some reason. The 1.8T seems to vibrate alot more when the pump is on.

Reply to
William Maslin

Sorry ! I do not understand your diagnostic!

"William Maslin" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@nntp.msstate.edu...

Reply to
Hengfrom

Well, you know that when you start the 1.8T (when the engine is cold) it makes a lot more noise than normal. It almost sounds like a diesel. That's because the secondary air pump is running. It's some sort of emmissions device. When the engine begins to warm up, the pump stops and the engine becomes quieter. Sometimes the pump comes back on in our Passat 1.8T when we reach the first major intersection when leaving our home (about 2 miles). Then it goes off again and stays off. Perhaps the pump is incorrectly turing on when you are driving on the highway and making more vibration.

Reply to
William Maslin