Cabrio - stall when AC is on

'98 Cabrio, manual trans. I just replaced the thermostat (wasn't opening, caused serious overheat problem). About the same time the overheat problem started, the engine started stalling whenever A/C is on. Engine idle is just fine at 800 RPM when A/C is off, but when we turn the air on, idle drops & surges between 400-600, then stalls. It appears to be a control problem - should boost throttle under increased load, but doesn't. I've looked the engine over for loose vacuum hoses & wires - can't see any. What components come into play on this? Related note - I still haven't got the coolant topped off properly, so we get the flashing coolant warning light on the dash - could that have an effect on the idle control??

Reply to
Frankie

Clean the throttle plate of crud for starters.

JoBo

Reply to
Jo Bo

I dunno about the Cabrio, but in my Fox there is an idle boost valve that opens (to let more air into intake) when a/c button is pushed. I this is the case for you, the valve may have become disconnected.

Reply to
93 Fox