Cabrio won't start

The car was running fine until the clutch cable broke (where it enters through the firewall). After I replaced the clutch cable (with the self adjusting mechanism, same as the previous one), I tried to take it for a test drive but the car didn't make a sound. The dash lights lit up but not even a click from the starter (the starter was replaced less than a month ago). I am pretty sure it is the clutch lock out mechanism. I checked the wiring (however, I am sure i have overlooked something). Any suggestions?

The car is

1995 VW Cabrio 5sp manual transmission 2.0, EFI, ABA engine
Reply to
Spicecd

Probably you have to reset the switch that monitors if the pedal is pressed/depressed. It is located just over the clutch pedal.

Fully press the clutch pedal, pull firmly the switch lever/axle towards the front of the vehicle. (It should extend until makes contact with the depressed pedal). Release the clutch pedal.

T.-

"Spicecd" escribió en el mensaje news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Gustavo Arriagada

Thanks for the advice, I followed it but it didn't work. I depressed the clutch pedal and at the same tried to pull the switch lever (little black stick? with orangy button at the end of it?The clutch pedal (rod?) rests against it). No luck.

I do hear a click from a relay under the dash that i didn't hear before. It is the 3rd relay up from the fuses, 2nd from the right hand side of the fuse box. The cap is missing so I don't know what relay # it is. Any ideas? Thanks for your time and help. It is appreciated...

Gustavo Arriagada wrote:

Reply to
Spicecd

You probably should purchase a Bentley Service Manual. They are the best, and will answer most technical questions. Just make sure you get the manual specifically for your car. They normally cost around $50. Good luck.

Reply to
Papa

I do have the bentley service manual. I think i may have disconnected a wire or something when I pulled down the fuse panel to gain access to the cable that goes to the top of the clutch pedal (per the manuals instructions for replacing a clutch cable). I was hoping that someone may have had a similar experience and could shed some light on it. If I figure it out I will post it. Thanks for the advice...

Papa wrote:

Reply to
Spicecd

Loose ground connection? (brown wires).

SFC

"Spicecd" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@f1g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

This is a long post, forgive me...

There are 4 unplugged wires tangled in the wiring behind the fuse box/relay panel;

  • blue female (1 "socket") connector / red wire
  • blue female (1 "socket") connector / grey wire
  • white male 1 plug connector / white wire with a black stripe
  • yellow male 1 plug connector / yellow wire

and hanging near the top of the brake pedal is a;

  • white female (2 "socket") connector / black wire and a black wire / red stripe Here is a little history;

I bought this car used for $1500 about 1 year ago. The previous owner bought it new and didn't keep up the maintenance. The car was also stolen while the P.O. had it and the fog lights, headlight switch, radio, speaker box and amp were taken and the center dash was damaged (P.O. replaced headlight switch, I have since replaced the damaged dash). Also, the horn doesn't sound (but the door light does flash) when the alarm is activated. If I open the trunk without disabling the alarm, the horn will sound but not if i open the hood or the doors. Since the car is garaged I don't worry about the alarm system and when I drive it, it's usually to a friends house parked in a garage.

Because of the theft and alarm problems, I did expect for some wiring to be missing/disconnected and will track down and correct them as i go along. However; for the time being, I just want to be able to start it.

Other than that the car hasn't given me any problems except for the starter (replaced about a 1 1/2 months ago, and a broken clutch cable). It has always started right up and I have put an additional 10,000 miles on it (it is a 2nd car).

Before I replaced the clutch cable, the car started with no problem (although it did jerk forward because of the broken cable (it was still in gear because i didn't want to damage it by forcing it out of gear. I forgot that i could limp home with the broken cable)

I am (almost) sure that it is related to the clutch lock out switch. I am going to replace the switch and maybe the relay (starter?). I was just hesitant to do so because it started before the clutch cable was installed.

SFC wrote:

Reply to
Spicecd