Callibrating 95 Golf's Fuel Gauge?

Recently replaced my fuel pump with sender. Prior to the replacement my fuel gauge was pretty spot on - full would be pegged at the top of the gauge and nearly empty would be at the last line in the red. Few days ago was on the second line from the bottom and I ran out of gas. Filled the car and was at the second to last line at the top. Is there a way of callibrating the gauge electrically or will I have to play around with the sender's float in the tank. Its a 1995 GTI VR6. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
stim141

It'll do it by itself over time. I don't know a way to 'force it'.

If you fill the tank with the key in the ignition that'll throw it off too. BTDT. Apparently when the gauge sees the level go up a bunch with the key out, it resets the calibration. It'll take a couple tanks to work itself out.

If that doesn't work, there might be a problem with the sender, or the connector back there had some spooge in it that needs cleaned out.

Just use the trip odometer for awhile to tell when it's time to fill up.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol