Can a bad Beetle key cause the airbag light to come on?

A couple of weeks ago, I tried starting my 2000 Beetle 1.8t and the car turned over but only stayed running for a few seconds. It tried starting it again again and it did the same thing for times in a row. The fifth time turning the key, it finally stayed running but the airbag light popped on and stayed on. I took it into the dealer and he ran the code and cleared the airbag light off and told me to use my other key to see it it would do the same thing again. So far (one day) it hasn't done it again. Can a bad key cause this sort of problem?

Reply to
lolajoker