Canadian sources of VW 505 01 engine oil?

Am awaiting delivery of a 2004 Golf TDi PD, and have been advised by VW Canada that use of anything other than oil the "expressly" conforms to VW Oil Standar 505 01 will void the engine warranty, and upon use of any such non-conforming oil, "very serious and very expensive damage to your vehicle's engine WILL [emphasis added] occur".

Bottom line - my VW dealer (Northland VW in Calgary) currently sells this oil for CAD$13 per litre.

Have tried without success to get the specifications of this oil from VW or online. Best I could do was google a list of compliant oils (the VW stock is manufactures specially for them by Castrol, and is supposedly synthetic, althoug Castrol gives no information on this product on its line or from its tech support service).

The list shows several compliant products (Motul makes one) that are not even full synthetics. I'd like to find an affordable all-season full synthetic that meets the VW 505 01 requiremens (whatever they are). Unfortunately, Petro-Canada, whose Duron HT Synthetic I've been using in my 2002 TDi does not conform to the new VW oil standard for the TDi PD engine.

Nearest cities to me are Calgary and Cranbrook, so product available in those locations would be most convenient. I'd also welcome any information (or pointers to such) about the special qualities of this new engine oil formulation.

Achim

axethetax

Reply to
Achim Nolcken Lohse