Catalytic Converter Needs Replacing?

I have a 1999 Jetta, new model, with about 90,000 miles. The engine light has been going on and off. The dealer tested and says I need a new catalytic converter for $1500 (I think that was parts and labor).

  1. How likely is it that I should need a new one. Is that to be expected about now?

  1. Is it likely I can get it done cheaper somewhere else without risking anything?

Thanks

Reply to
MB

The cat. in my 99.5 went out at 50k. Intermittent check engine light, rattling, crappy fuel mileage. I replaced it myself with a bolt-on, pre-made replacement ordered off the net. $340. Only complication is that you need the car pretty high off the ground to do the maneuvering you need to get the old one out and new one in. But you could probably order the part and get a local muffler shop to do it for cheap. Check engine light went out and stayed out after a few days with the new one. Fuel economy got better, etc.

...Sean.

Reply to
CheetoDust

Their life depends on many things, quality of fuel and engine condition being the top of the list. Yes you may need a new one at 90,000 miles

Many times when they are going out, you may notice a loss of power, especially at high speed. You may also notice some smoke coming out of your tail pipe, even after the car warms up. Then again you may not notice a thing.

Frankly you are risking overpaying by going to the dealer. A good independent mechanic can be your car's best friend. Try to find a good one and use them for your second opinion and estimate. I would expect you will be able to be well under $1,000.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Shop around at other dealers.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I agree.

Also check what the federal emissions system warranty is...might be covered (I don't remember what the coverage is offhand).

Reply to
Matt B.