Catalytic Failure

My car just passed Drive Clean in Ontario, but not without needing a new catalytic converter. I was pretty surprised by this since the old one was only 2 years old. Is it just me, or is that a pretty short life span?

I had an incident where I was changing the oil and somehow overfilled it, which I have heard can be bad for the cataytllic. If that isn't so true, and other ideas other than the one on it was a dud?

Aside from that, my 93 Golf (300K) passed the Drive Clean test no problem

Thanks, Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Morton

Was the cat replaced by a dealer, or was it a DIY, or some other shop? If not done by the dealer, was it a genuine VW cat, or possibly some substandard aftermarket piece?

Reply to
Biz