CD Changer options

Hi

I have a 1999 Golf TDI. What CD Changers will plug into that connector in my trunk, and have FULL functionality with my VW head unit. The manual claims it is the premium stereo (not a monsoon tho). I don't want to have to replace the unit, as I find add in stereo's look utterly stupid... I don't see why they can't give them a more timeless look.

Do I have to buy a VW changer, or are there cheaper aftermarket units that would work. What do you recommend?... are there any changers that play MP3 CDs?

Reply to
Rob Guenther

There's a Panasonic (same people who made the vw radio) that plugs in with a adapter from Crutchfield.

Joe

Reply to
Joe R

I guess I misnamed what I want. It's an in-dash single disk CD player. My local dealer wants an insane amount for it and says it's a 2 1/2 hour job. A dealer in Canada, where I'm heading next week, says it's

30 minutes tops. This, plus the 35 percent discount between U.S. and Canadian money will make it quite reasonable.
Reply to
Ken Sternberg

. For less

What model Pioneer? Does Crutchfield sell that? With adapter?

Thanks hks

Reply to
Horace

Reply to
want12

Why an in dash CD player? I see the point of being able to change the CD's eassier, but with a visible CD player, people know you have CD's in your car. A new window is still atleast $150, even if you use copied CD's. A second hand changer from a dealer would be around $200 (only problem is they suck below 20F). Sounds like the best option to me.

Reply to
Baudolino

why not go for the PhatMusic option? its only $750!!!

Reply to
Kyle Dennis

.......because I don't have $750 to spend on whatever the hell "phat music" is. I could just get a new, good looking deck, with CD, and a separate amp for those prices.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

I do agree with you--the stock stereo is much less likely to be stolen. However...

  • I've specifically wanted a CD-based MP3 option, and it's just not available from VW;
  • Though it's a pain, I can remove the stereo faceplate and make the stereo inoperable (and somewhat less noticeable and less attractive to thieves) when I'm out of the car;
  • The replacement stereo does sound noticeably better than the stock unit
Reply to
Cat Carson

With some research and soldering it must be possible to have an MP3 player on the CD plug in the trunk (seen it with an XM radio in a VW, did it with a Sony changer in a car with Pioneer radio), but this might be too much work if getting frustrated isn't your hobby.

Removing the faceplate works, once they were in my car and couldn't even be bothered by the radio without the faceplate (but they searched for the faceplate, so take it out of the car)

I must be hearing impaired, but I can't hear anything wrong with the stock unit (allthough, if the stereo is up and my windows down, the mirrors shake).

Reply to
Baudolino