Cental locking

I have a '98 Golf GL and recently the pump/motor for the central locking system seems to have died. If you bang the location in the rear left hatch it will work for a short time and then fail again. Do they usual fail or could it be a poor connection? I did find a blown 15amp fuse, replaced it but still no luck. Any advice on how to replace/locate the motor and any online sites to find the part. Any help would be much appreciated as that model only has the driver door handle key which is a pain :-( Thanxs Greg

Reply to
Theresa

I would look for the poor connection. The blown fuse suggests you may have a frayed wire shorting to the frame, and the most common location for this failure is in the wiring going through the driver's door up to the keyswitch.

Pump/motor failure is extremely rare (even most from the '80s are still working), and when they do fail they stay failed.

- FM -

Reply to
Fred Mau

Check to make sure it is not a cracked piece of tubing which by "banging" , you are temporarily sealing. This happened on my passat. The cracked are is usually in a hard to see area.

Theresa wrote:

Reply to
rehoppe

I had the same thing happen to my 98 Cabrio- the pump failed. I just don't lock my car any more. With a convertible, it's a fools errand anyway....

Perhaps you might want to rethink your need to lock your car as well. What are you trying to protect?

Reply to
Dadbar