changing instrument cluster bulbs- A2 Golf

I had to remove the instrument cluster on my '92 Golf to replace a leaking heater core. While I have the cluster out, I'd like to replace a couple of burned out bulbs (I think I am now down to one working bulb!). No provision seems to have been made to remove the bulbs from the back of the cluster. Surely VW expects their cars to last longer than a lightbulb! I wondered if anyone can suggest a procedure for replacing the bulbs.

Thanks in advance,

Garry

Reply to
ngt

The bulbs are simply a twist lock style. Turn the bulb 90 degrees (usually counterclockwise) and it should come right out. Seeing as you email address lists you at Carlton U. (local) if you're really not sure I could show you how its done.

snipped-for-privacy@doe.carlet> I had to remove the instrument cluster on my '92 Golf to replace a

In addition to what E said, some have successfully replaced the bulbs with LEDs. You could search for articles if you are project-minded.

The results may not be quite as evenly-dispersed lighting as replacing the tungsten bulbs, but they will probably last longer than a car. Perhaps somebody even has pre-made twist-in replacements.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

These should help:

Reply to
AJ

Thanks for the tips everyone- force and some pressure twisting the socket did the trick. It's reassuring to know you are following the correct procedure when applying brute force!

Garry

Reply to
ngt