Changing my radio

I am about to replace my VW Golf TDI GLS 2001 stock radio(Premium, no Monsoon). The manual says there are computer codes stored in this radio, engine may become funny, computer may lose security and environmental settings. What is really the case, what is really stored in that radio? Do I need to reprogram the computer after a radio change? The new radio would not have this data storage feature. Would that be still OK with the car computer?

Reply to
Rochester

rgds

Reply to
Alec

Disconnecting the radio can cause THAT radio to go into save mode and you will need the "code" to get it back. That code should be written down somewhere, like your owner's manual or with your spare key.

If you disconnect the battery when you replace the radio, and you really should, the engines computer may loose its memory. If it does no big harm, it will re-learn as you drive over the next few days.

Also possible is the system may loose your car's entry-start security codes so your keys will no longer work (the remote anyway). I suggest you carefully check that part out before doing the work. Not all models are the same so you need to find out about your specific model, and year.

There are devices that plug into one of the power outlets that can keep those things powered up while you work on the radio and will not have enough power to likely do serious damage if you make an error working on the radio and short something out.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

YES!

NO!

NO!

YES, but if you short the wiring for which has power all the time... it's up in smoke unless fused.

Reply to
Woodchuck

The radio will save faults for anything related to the radio and speakers, antenna. What ever radio you get make sure you connect nothing to the data bus wires from the factory connector. If you connect anything to the data bus wires you could take all the computers off line and scan tools such as

5051 & 5052 maybe damaged. This doesn't earn brownie point with the dealer when checking MIL issues. Some dealer will not even scan a car unless the aftermarket radio is removed!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thank you guys, it is clear, or at least clearer now.

At the end I did change that radio, and I did disconnect the battery for the operation. I left the signal cable hanging (terminated of course), so no damage to the car computer or the scan tool. New radio is great, I can hear some stations I didn't know even existed. I wonder who is making that "premium radio" for the Golf with a tape unit...

I had re-programmed my computer to avoid another big dirt cleaning in my intake. May those settings have been lost? Or the settings after timing belt change? These are no self learnt data!

Reply to
Rochester

[...]

Rochester sloeg het volgende aan.

Grundig, philips/vdo-dayton or blaupunkt.

do you have a picture.

normaly EU cars are sold without any radio.

Reply to
Yoda