Changing oil/filter myself?

I recently bought a 2004 VW Golf (2.0L gasoline engine).

When the time comes for the first (5K-mile) oil/filter change, I plan to do it myself. I may also do other light scheduled maintenance (10K / 30K / etc.) myself in the future.

Any specific pitfalls or "gotchas" I should be aware of when doing an oil/filter change on this particular model?

Has anyone ever run into flak from VW (dealer or corporate) when doing one's own oil/filter changes or other scheduled maintenance? For example, has anyone ever had VW try to deny a warranty claim by insisting that such maintenance was never actually done?

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

My 2 cents on this issue for proof of services done by yourself. Keep a log book and all your receipts for filters and oil purchased.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Nothing special, other than the need for a Torx driver to remove the belly pan to get access to the filter.

Reply to
Brian Running

no need for a torx driver after the first 5 inch snowfall my car saw... the snow "removed" the belly pan once and for all.

Reply to
mad8vskillz