changing radio faceplate

I have a 2000 Jetta with the monsoon stereo and am sick of going in the trunk to change the cd...Does anyone know of a cd faceplate receiver that is compatible with the factory trunk 6 disc changer. I would still like to use the changer for those favorite cds.

Also, will I have any trouble wih the sound if I change the faceplate and leave the speakers

Reply to
stavan

If you like sticking with VW stuff you could try looking for the single CD player that goes where the storage pocket is. You can connect both your changer and the single slot player to the headunit. I don't have a monsoon amp in my Golf, but I have both the indash player and the changer in my car, and I have to say it's a pretty nice setup.

I don't know if VW is selling new single CD players anymore, but there might be some on Ebay... I got mine off of my mechanic who had one in storage, as well as several CD Changers (which I bought one of as well).

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Hi. I bought a Golf IV that had the tapedeck, with the option for a trunk mounted cd. Thought about it, and bought an IPod. No more switching CD's on the road, and about the same price.Holds an unbelievable amt of music. And I can use it for other things,practice in my drum room, take it to work, use it as a jukebox at home. Way cooler deal! Bill D.

Reply to
Wm Donley

Yes, it is possible that your Monsoon sound system may not work properly with a different head unit. From what I understand, the input impedance of a Monsoon system is nonstandard, and as a result, the frequency response will be wrong.

When I had the factory radio replaced recently in my 2004 VW Golf, the installer said he would be inserting a resistor in series with each of the audio output lines, in order to match the outputs to the Monsoon amplifier inputs. The sound in my car (Kenwood head unit + original Monsoon amplifier and speakers) is just fine.

Note, BTW, that the audio hardware (radio/CD/etc.) in the dash is normally called a "head unit". A "faceplate" is the front portion of the head unit, which (in many cases) can be removed from the body of the unit and carried separately when you leave the car (some people believe this discourages theft or vandalism).

Rich Wales snipped-for-privacy@richw.org

Rich Wales

But no CD quality sound :-(

Reply to