Charges for radio codes in the GTA (Ontario, Canada)

Hi:

Recently I required the radio code for my Jetta radio after it went into SAFE mode.

Here are the prices that a few dealerships quoted me:

Agincourt VW - $50 + tax Don Valley VW - $30 + tax Orangeville VW - $25 + tax Cedarbrae VW - $20 + tax

And the winner is...

Pickering VW - FREE (that's where I got the code from)

I thought it would be good to share this info if anyone is looking for a radio code for their VW and go to one of these dealerships to get quoted a ridiculous price for it.

Since when did the dealerships start charging for a task that takes about 2 minutes (if you take the radio out yourself).

Cheers,

AJ.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Radio codes are a non-problem for me. I recently purchased a new AM/FM/CD receiver from an electronics store that has no VW ties. No codes, easy to install, fits perfectly in my '88 Cabbie, works great, and the total cost for the radio was $50.

Reply to
Papa

I recently pulled the battery to make left headlight replacement easier, forgetting about the damned radio codes. Afterward, turned on the radio, only to see the "safe" message -- cussed myself out for forgetting where I left the code. Next time I got in the car, the radio worked fine, without ever having to enter a code. I'm apparently missing something here -- is this normal function?

Reply to
Brian Running

Yes, anytime the power is cut-off from the radio, it will go in a "safe" mode which is the normal function.

Why yours fixed itself, I can't say...

Reply to
Amit Joneja

Because after a short period displaying SAFE the radio starts chatting to other devices (from memory, the immobiliser and instrument panel). If it recognises these it decides that it will be okay to start working again. This process takes a few tens of seconds.

Charles

Reply to
Charles DH Williams

I suspected it was something of that sort -- thanks.

Reply to
Brian Running

Mine did not "fix itself" because there is no code for my radio. Just turn it on and start listening. Never a code to worry about.

Reply to
Papa

My local dealer wanted $70 for the code....on a '95! Screw them, I found a place in WV (stupid me forgot who) who got it for free....Good thing too, since the radio turned out to be dead anyway.

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible On eBay now...(Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

And why do they not design them so, after say 5 years, just work without a code? I mean who wants a 5 years old radio anyway?

Ron/Champ 6

1963 8E5 Champ (Champ 6) 1962 Lark Daytona Convertible On eBay now...(Boomerang) 1995 VW Passat (Vanilla..yuk) 1994 Volvo 850 (Tilley) 1973 Volvo 1800 ES (Hyacinth Bucket)
Reply to
Ron

Why did you need to take it out? I just called a dealer here in Winnipeg MB and all they needed was the VIN.

Reply to
Warren Abrey

The serial number of the radio is required for the code, probably the dealer in MB is unaware of it...the VIN is required by the dealer as proof of vehicle ownership.

Reply to
Amit Joneja

hmmmm

They gave me the right code though...

Reply to
Warren Abrey

This is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Why they don't keep them on file I will never know. I work for a Mercedes Benz dealership & all I have to do is punch the VIN into my computer & can have your code in 2 mins.

Reply to
CanadianCray