Charging circuit- 90 Jetta Carat

yes

Reply to
Woodchuck

Is the dash voltage warning light necessary to the function of the system?

I'm replacing the regulator/alternator but don't want to tear the dash apart. I figure I'll mount a voltage meter somewhere to monitor that. The Bentley manual almost makes it sound like the light is integral, which I doubt, but would like to be safe.

Thanks for any info, Irv

Reply to
IR

the light is integral to the charge system, it will not charge if the indicator light in the cluster is bad.

Reply to
VW FREAK

If it is a diode I wonder if they may have substituted some other method than using the light? I would not think that a diode would do the job.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Howdy and thanks to all. I put the rebuilt alternator in, turned the ignition on, and the little dash light came on. At this point I was very happy. Started her up, checked the voltage (14v), took her for a test drive, and all is well.

Thanks Aga> IR wrote:

Reply to
IR