Check Engine LIght--1997 Jetta GL

Hi,

Suddenly my Check Engine light is on steady. No sign of anything under the hood other than a split hose (spot repaired), no indications of trouble up to now. The car's got about 115K on it. I realize it can be any one of dozens of things, and I intend to take it in ASAP, but we live in New York City so getting to a garage can be something you have to plan your day around. My question is, do you think I can drive it safely here and there (errands, etc.) until I manage to get over to the garage? Or should I just park it until it's time to take it in?

Also, long shot: anybody know of a good VW mechanic in or around downtown Brooklyn?

Many thanks, as usual--

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Parchman

Did this coincide with a fuel fillup? If so, could be a loose gas cap.

Reply to
Matt B.

The car should be safe to drive around. As long as the MIL is not flashing, the engine *should* be fine. By this, I assume you aren't going to be driving with the still on and the odometer reading 130K.

Don't know of any good shops in the NYC area, but I know the good spots to ride in NYC, like Washington Square Park unless the cops are there... they don't like 300 bikers going though there at night for some reason.

FIY, you can get a VAG COM and scan the car yourself, if we know what the faults are then we can point you in the right direction for repair.

Later.

Reply to
Pencilneck

You now what? I´ve had my 1994 Golf for years and now I realize that I´ve never seen the check engine light! Is it in the lower part of the instrument cluster? Or is it the "IN 02" in the service reminder indicator?

When I turn the key to the "on" position, no check engine light checks.... It has the ABA and i´ve read fault codes with the VAG, but the truth is I don´t know where the CEL is!

Please help!

Bob

Reply to
ghinghis

etc.) until I manage to get

Now the damn light's shut off, as suddenly as it came on. My experience in the world tells me that this likely doesn't mean the problem's gone away. But will the mechanic be able to diagnose the thing if he can't just read the error codes?

Reply to
Johannes Parchman

The light goes out if no problems occur for some time or some number of restarts, but the code should still be stored. It's likely that you had some minor problem, maybe a cylinder misfired once or twice, but that it's gone now. It's probably nothing serious.

-ekk

Reply to
ekk

could be the gas cap was slightly loose???

dave