Chipping Passat

I'm thinking of chipping my '03 Passat 1.8T. Since I live in New England, I've found a place in Concord NH, TJM Motorsport that can do the chipping while I wait. They use Dahlback racing components and for $800 they can get the hp to 195hp. They also suggested I change the blow-off valve for another $160.

Has anyone had any experience with TJM Motorsport or Dahlback, and do you think I need to change the blow-off valve, or should I leave the stock one (made by Bosch)

The big thing for me is that they can do the work, while I wait - I don't have to mail the ECU to the west coast and have the car be un-drivable for a week or so...

Reply to
2001E46CI

Sounds expensive - hop on over to

& look at the forums for numerous discussions about all sorts of chips - GIAC, APR, Upsolute, Neuspeed, Revo etc etc etc...Any of them will get you 195bhp - some will go as high as 210.

Also that Diverter valve is expensive - cheapest option is to leave the stock one in. If it causes a problem then the one from an Audi TT is the next cheapest followed by maybe a Forge unit.

HTH

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Most all of the newer chip mods can be done while you wait--they simply hook up to your existing ECU and reprogram the flash EPROM. No need to remove and reinstall a prom.

As the other poster said, the price seems high--almost any chip will get you to 195 HP, and that should not run you $800.

Reply to
CSS

Your Passat has 170 horsepower already.. I wonder if 25 more hp will really make that dig a difference? Don't forget about the Warrantee if something goes wrong it could be voided.. I have an 02 1.8T and I think im going to wait for the warrantee to end before I consider chipping it. Anyway, if you decide to do it 'good luck' and post back if it was worth it.

2001E46CI wrote:
Reply to
Tim Burr

Thanks for the feedback. I've called all of the local installers of most of the upgrades available, and it looks like APR is going to be the winner!

For $575 they can give me 214 hp and 247 lbs-ft torque. In addition, for $150 I can have another stock program, that I can switch to, when I go to the dealer for a visit....

They can do the upgrade in about 2 hours, while I wait...

Reply to
2001E46CI

One of the great things about the GIAC/APR etc upgrades is the ability to flash the ECU in such a way that you can have both stock and upgraded maps running on a switchable basis. Unless they went looking seriously the dealer's most likely wouldn't find them.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

How does one switch the ECU from performance to stock programming?

Reply to
CSS

I can't remember which one it is (APR I think) but something to do with switching the ignition on (not starting the engine) and then using the cruise control buttons.

I.

Reply to
Iain Miller

Yes, that's what they told me over the phone... cruise control buttons...

Reply to
2001E46CI