Chips for my TDI

Hi, I'm thinking on installing a chip in my 04 TDI PD Jetta. The Car is at

88k so the warrenty is not really an issue with me. I live in Newfoundland and there are no installers in the province so i'm going to have to handle it myself. I work from my car so sending my ECU to the dealer is not an option!

This isn't a problem has i have an uncle who is in to printed circuts and programming Eproms. I'll just get him to do the sodering, according to him a chip swap is an everyday thing in his line of work.

Heres the question:

  1. Does anyone have any experence with some of the Chips sold on ebay? There is a seller who sells them for about 0cdn from Germany. The #'s look the same as the upsolute chip on the performance side and his feedback looks ok (translated from german) :-)

  1. For the price of a Chip (such as Upsolute) i could almost get the gear to flash the ECU myself. Would flashing the firmware be a better way to go about the performance upgrade?

I've checked out the TDI club and looked at the information on the web. Maybe i'm just cheap but i know that these eprom chips can be purchased blank for a buck at a local electronic store... $675 cdn is one hell of a markup for a few lines of programming.

Chris

Reply to
Chris