clockspring

folks,

my clockspring is ripped, and the VW dealer is charging me $500 to fix it. the part is $300 or so and installation $200 (surely being overcharged because I can install one of these suckers in 30 mins flat -- and I am no VW mechanic --, but the dealer will charge cause he can).

does anyone know a way to fix it? or has one for sale? golf '97 or maybe knows a place that sells used parts for cheaper.

clockspring is a coiled wire under your steering wheel which rotates with the steering and connects to the airbag. it is hardly worth $300, but again this is one of those ways VW dealers rip you off.

Reply to
ion vaduva

$300 isn't that much considering the airbag can save your life!

Reply to
Woodchuck

Or kill you. LOL! Airbags are also the leading cause of totalled out vehicles. They are making cars into throw away items.

Did you also read the VW memo where they said that they will charge an arm and leg for parts to compensate for the poor auto sales. I believe this is happening as per Peter Cressman mentioned before he left the VW dealership.

Two examples:

I recently priced out a water pump w/ housing and o-rings. $205.12 at the bad VW dealer. I decided to buy the Adirondack $46 one which is the same OEM just without the VW logo. At the time I didn't try the good dealer but I bet it wouldn't have been $205.12 US.

I am currently doing a T-Belt on one of my "herd" and one of the crank pully hex bolts stripped. I called up the bad VW dealer and the good VW dealer. Both didn't have it in stock. The bad one quoted a price of $16 US for an 8x12 mm crank pully bolt. The good VW dealer gave me a price of 33 cents US. Guess who I went with. :-)

This is all true.

Reply to
Peter Parker