Clutch

Have a 1997 Jetta, 2.0L gas, manual. 185K kms (I live in Canada).

Noticed clutch slipping lately. Mechanic says it needs to be replaced soon. Said it's a 5-6 hour job. This seems long to me. I would think it would take a couple hours. $1000 P\L after it's all said and done (with taxes).

I also noticed oil dripping. Mechanic cleaned it up and is watching it today to find the source. Could it be an engine seal leaking oil into the clutch causing the slippage?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Constantine

Reply to
constantine88

Yes it can. A leaking seal of the crank (very rare) can cause a wet clutch plate which results in slipping. It's not a two hour job to remove the box and maybe the seal. Even with all the tools it's still a lot of work and the estimate of 5-6h is very realistic.

SFC

schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@x6g2000vbg.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
SFC

I agree with SFC! SO your oil leak needs to be repaired ESPECIALLY if leaking onto the clutch! Probably the valve cover gasket or oil cooler seal leaking oil.

A lot of work involved in taking out that transmission, at least for me it is! ;-) A clutch kit is not that cheap either here in the USA! Is your mechanic having the flywheel machined?

Call your local VW dealer and ask for a price to compare how much you will save?

JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Thanks for the input guys.

I am not sure about machining the fly wheel. He said the clutch kit would run around $500 (CND) which seems high to me; a quick googling of vw parts reveals prices in the $200 range.

Will call around get some confidence about this pricing.

Cheers.

Reply to
constantine88

Will the mechanic let you bring your own parts?

AFAIK the F&S or Sachs brand is usually what is installed.

$500 sounds high to me but maybe you are getting more than the disc, pressure plate and release bearing. Maybe you are getting seals, clutch cable and dinner for two at a nice restaurant? Or maybe a new flywheel which makes excellent sense to me! ;-)

snip

Thanks for the input guys.

I am not sure about machining the fly wheel. He said the clutch kit would run around $500 (CND) which seems high to me; a quick googling of vw parts reveals prices in the $200 range.

Will call around get some confidence about this pricing.

Cheers.

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

He said the kit comes with the flywheel, cable, etc. I have the estimate here and it lists Clutch Kit # K70106-02. I googled it and it looks like it's the Sachs model although I couldn't find the that specific Sachs kit # matching the 1997 VW Jetta (I could only find that model number associated with the years 1999-2005).

Not sure what to think . . .

Reply to
Constantine

Then it sounds like the parts price is probably right! Flywheels are not cheap usually! He also could be "upgrading" your parts but I thought the later models used hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinders with the release bearing inside of the bellhousing.

The 2000 Jetta (2.0l) definitely had the hydraulic setup since I had to change the engine from AEG to AZG.