coasting? >:)

ok i got this habit, where when im like cornering in some roads, instead of breaking and shifting down and proceeding then shifting up again, i just press in the clutch and break and when im coming out i slowly let up the clutch while giving gas, which keeps me in the same gear. i got yelled at for doing that, and i read here that its dangerous? ... im just wondering, whats technically going on that makes this dangerous and am i damaging my clutch? oh and safety, what can go wrong?

thanks in advance!

Reply to
wolfy

Sort of. The engine-braking helps give some extra "free" braking and a little better feel of control. Also if you're exiting the turn in the same gear, chances are you slowed down a bit in the turn so you might be exiting with revs a bit on the low side.

throwout bearing is spinning when clutch is pressed and if you leave the turn in the same gear with REALLY low revs it bogs the engine and that's not good for it.

Reply to
Matt B.

If I'm reading this right, instead of downshifting you're slipping the clutch? Sounds like you need to select the right gear going into the turn instead of bogging it. Let the engine rev out a little in the lower gear. If it's a long sweeper that you'd need to up shift in, you can up shift then. If you're braking through the turn, you're in too fast. Slow in, fast out, especially on a front drive car. Need to transfer a little weight to the rear using the throttle. I'm not talking about enough for wheel spin, mind you. If you do it right you'll feel the car pull through the turn instead of pushing through it.

Free braking as in wearing the clutch instead of the brakes? No thanks ;)

Engine braking == more control than the regular brakes? Er, no.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

Maybe maybe not. It depends on how much and what speeds. Using the brakes rather than down shifting is a good idea, assuming that you are not overheating the brakes and risking loosing them. Brakes are cheaper than clutches. On the other end assuming you are still in the speed band for that gear you are not hurting anything when coming out of the turn and accelerating. If however if you have slowed enough that you should be in a lower gear and are just not bothering to shift you are doing one of more of the following: Lugging the engine (bad for the engine) Slipping the clutch (bad for the clutch) or in too high a gear causing slow accelerate and creating a safety hazard as well as using more fuel than needed (part of lugging the engine). The throw-out bearing is a non issue in today's cars, they can take the abuse today.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

First of, it's BRAKES. Consider that brake pads are considerably cheaper than replacing a clutch. Don't wear out a clutch and it's throwout bearing when it's better to use the brakes.

Secondly, consider weight transitions and control of the vehicle. If you bog the engine, as you're doing, you lose a degree of control over the vehicle by not having effective power available.

So yes, you're putting more wear on the clutch that is necessary. And yes, you're risking loss of control. Stop doing it. And while you're at it, read up on proper cornering and clutch usage. Bondurant and, I think, Barber both published good books on proper performance driving habits.

Reply to
wkearney99

Shifting to a lower gear and decelerating via the engine is not extra wear on the clutch unless you ride the pedal and I did not say to do that.

Er, yes. It supplements the brakes and if for any reason you need to get back on the throttle again you can do it quicker if the car is already in gear.

When you go down a hill do you push in the clutch and coast and use the brakes? I sure as hell don't. That's WAY harder on the brakes. Why would you treat decelerating for a turn any different?

Reply to
Matt B.

Yes but just downshifting is nearly negligible wear on the clutch and saves brakes, often a lot. I've been downshifting for all my years of ownership of my A2 GTI (the car is 14.5 years old and i'm the original owner) and has

185K miles on it. How many clutches have a gone through? Zero. None. Nada. Car still has it's original clutch.

True.

The only way I know of to slip the clutch is to have your foot partially depressing the pedal. While being in too high of a gear is bad for the engine if it bogs too much, the clutch still shouldn't be slipping.

Reply to
Matt B.

I don't either. By coasting you convert your vehicle from something safe and controllable into a rolling juggernaut.

Reply to
Papa

wolfy wrote: : ok i got this habit, where when im like cornering in some roads, : instead of breaking and shifting down and proceeding then shifting up : again, i just press in the clutch and break and when im coming out i : slowly let up the clutch while giving gas, which keeps me in the same : gear. i got yelled at for doing that, and i read here that its : dangerous? ... im just wondering, whats technically going on that makes : this dangerous and am i damaging my clutch? oh and safety, what can go : wrong?

: thanks in advance!

Do you let the motor spin down to idle speed during this? I was cautioned years ago (and cautioned my son) you have to be in gear during turns, especially hard turns because oil pumps are direct drive and centrifical force can, when oil pressure drops to idle PSI, push the oil to a point where some parts of the motor may not be lubed property...

Course, every time you step on your clutch, your wearing it down a little more, but at least VW clutches are cheap...

Reply to
Chicago Paddling-Fishing

and durable.

Reply to
Matt B.

Thanks everybody for sharing your experiences, I am now a super driver.

Reply to
wolfy