cold start knock

Hey ya'll. I got a 98 jetta 2.0. It has a knarly engine knock for about 1 to 2 min on cold starts. After that is sounds fine. No knock during heavy load (fast take offs or hills), only knocking on the cold starts. Where should I be looking to fix this? Thanks

Reply to
hedgehog

That's a gasoline/petrol engine?

First, check that the oil level and weight used are correct according to the owner's manual for your climate. Too 'heavy' and it won't pump properly. Too 'light' and it flows too easily. At least one my '95

2.0l ABA gas motor, it likes 15W50 down to around freezing. Below that and there can be a little startup tapping (5 seconds max). I think any 10W30, 10W40 is ok down to something like -40. (C or F, it's the same number down there :) Double check your owner's manual just to be sure tho'. 20W40 or 20W50 will be too 'heavy' below freezing.

Second. Uh, when'd you last change your oil?

Third. Is the check engine or oil pressure gage/light telling you anything? Does it work? (don't remember on my '95 if it comes on at first turn on of the ignition or not - and for a '98 it's possible the bulb could be out) There's been a 'rash' of oil pump replacements on the group here lately - or at least it seems so - if 2 or 3 can be a 'rash' :)

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

I was thinking oil pump but the knocking goes away after a min. Wouldn't I have a full time problem if it was that? My oil light and check engine light both come on at start up and then both go right out. I'm using full synthetic 5W30 and keep up on changes. Average temp around here lately has been 40 to 60.

Reply to
hedgehog

I was thinking oil pump but the knocking goes away after a min. Wouldn't I have a full time problem if it was that? My oil light and check engine light both come on at start up and then both go right out. I'm using full synthetic 5W30 and keep up on changes. Average temp around here lately has been 40 to 60.

Reply to
tacurong

Same here 1.8L engine, same timeout to silence. Its a noisy lifter in my case.

Reply to
Dioclese

If the pump was marginal and the weight was wrong that could cause it until it pumps up. 60 seconds seems a bit long tho'. 5-10, maybe...

Me, I'd put in a 15W40 or 20W40 (*W50 would be ok too) or even a straight 30W and see if it changes. I remember other folks saying using too light an oil would cause the pressure light to flicker. Also that's the old 'fix' for knocking and oil burning on an old engine. Go to a heavier weight oil!

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

One shouldn't be using a xW30 in a WCVW anyway.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

could be some piston slap or a valve lifter. How many miles on engine? Try to listen from where on the engine the noise is coming from.

Reply to
Lost In Space/Woodchuck