Comments on Innova 3100 OBD II reader?

Hi. Any comments on the Innova 3100 OBD II reader for working on VW's? Canadian Tire have it on sale at $89 (regular $199 CDN). I was thinking of getting one.

Currently our cars are an '85 Golf and a '90 Golf, both pre-OBD. But we're looking to replace the '85 soon and an OBD II reader would be handy for diagnosis. Will the Innova 3100 read all the VW codes?

Further, I was talking to a former VW service tech and he mentioned the VW mechanics use a $200 piece of software. Now I'm not sure if he was talking about the software that comes with the OBD reader or something separate. Can someone elaborate? Will I need VW specific software in addition to the physical OBD reader?

I'll buy the Bentley manual for whatever replacement car we get, are the codes explained in there?

thanks,

Reply to
tonyw

Not sure about the Innova 3100 and if it can do anything else besides read engine and transmission codes. This would make it limited and I would prefer if you purchased something a little more robust. Buy from here

(which requires a computer or other device) will sell you the preferred adapter for VWs. It is an investment that you can sell when you need to sell it.

There are 'VW' clones you can buy off of ebay but they are limited as to what they can do. The newest VWs supposedly require CAN enabled scanners. For under $20 (ebay) you could try one of these out along with the ross-tech software to see if things work well. Or these 'VW' stand-alone ebay items #..........

380093185753 120354755588 (CAN) 200293332319 110331458950

It all depends on what you want to do though. If you are only reading codes then there are probably some cheaper code readers out there. Now here is just a 'VW' code reader 370138041799 ($28 shipped)

Those generic readers are also limited as to what they can do on the VWs. Read info here

"1.10 What's the difference between VAG-COM and an OBD-II Scan-Tool? OBD-II is a government mandated diagnostic protocol that is primarily aimed at diagnosing emissions-related problems. An OBD-II scan tool will work in many different brands of cars. VAG-COM uses VW's proprietary diagnostic protocol and will only work in VW/Audi vehicles. Although you can use an OBD-II Scan Tool in an OBD-II compliant (1996 or newer) VW or Audi, an OBD-II Scan Tool can only talk to the engine, not the numerous other "intelligent" systems in the car. Want to reprogram your central locks or your Radio? Diagnose a problem with your ABS, Airbags, or Automatic Transmission? Re-align your Immobilizer after swapping ECU's? Reset your Service Reminder Indicators? Communicate with a pre-1996 model (not OBD-II compliant) car? An OBD-II Scan-Tool can't do any of these things."

If you have a laptop go with either the ross-tech adapter or a clone if you are not buying a very new VW. JMHO

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Hi Dave, Thanks for the detailed response. I agree, I'll save up for the VAG- COM system instead. Doing the work myself will pay for the system in the first year if not sooner.

I'm intrigued also that the VAG-COM system maybe able to connect to my 1990 Golf with the 2X2 adapter.

-Tony

Reply to
tonyw

I don't think that the regular Golf has the ability to be scanned. Maybe the GTI or maybe a California VW which probably blink out codes. Does your Golf have the 2x2 connections? The 90- Passats could be hooked up though.

I could be wrong though! ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

A generic OBD-II reader will read the generic codes that will be shown when a check engine light turns on in an OBD-II equipped car (since about the mid-1990s). But there are some non-engine/emissions related VW-specific codes that can only be read with a VW-specific code reader (e.g. the VW tool or the Ross-Tech VAG-COM software).

Reply to
Timothy J. Lee