considering buying 2004 golf

what is the consensus of the quality of a new golf, problems etc. also is there a way to buy a tdi in new york ? thanks for any input

Reply to
Jimmy Egan

Good car, though expect some "shakedown" problems (though the car seems to have signs of being pretty durable, there are things that go wrong up front that you need to attend to, and also keep up the maintenance).

I've had the usual known problems (window regulator, MAF sensor) on my 2.0 litre 2000 Golf, but also a few unusual ones:

- Fuel pump fuse blew. My fuel pump priming motor that used to come on when I opened the driver's side door no longer makes the noise, maybe could be related?

- Problem with cruise control where it would cut out after about 60 miles of use on highway. My local dealer couldn't fix it, took it to dealer in my Mother's hometown (1600 miles away) and they fixed it 1st time.

-Weird problem with airbag warning light on dash. Seemed to be related to connector on seat mounted side airbag, reseated connector.

-Poor tire life...the Goodyear LS tires that came with mine wore out at less than 15k miles...the replacement tires (Dunlop) that I put on have more than that many miles, and seem like they still have quite a lot of tread left.

I'd highly recommend getting a scan tool (like VAG-COM) to be able to get the symptom codes from the car...I've used mine quite a lot (wish VW would make standard way to read codes without needing extenal equipment like computer).

The suspension is very soft compared to older VWs (which I like as I get older, but the handling is not very good). Still, I like the refinement compared to my previous VWs, and the space (back seat isn't roomy, but never was on a Golf).

Note that the A4 Golfs are nearing end of model life...supposed to be new A5 Golf sometime in 2005...other than to get latest model, though, not sure if they are worth waiting for.

--------- Tom Flynn I speak only for myself

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Do you really want the first model year of any new car? (Unless it's, like, a Carrera GT or something? ;-)

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

Try Connecticut.

Michael

-- There exists no dream worth chasing if it can not satisfy. There exists no god worth serving if he can not hear your cry. - CoD

Reply to
Michael A. Vickers

Pretty much sorted out - they fixed the window regulators, coil pack problems (1.8T), and MAF problems (TDI), these were the big issues on the older cars, the new one's should have these problems.

New cars... little things Vinyl shifter boot on manual models - poor quality, prone to wearing out (friend got leather replacements, under warranty) Rubber door seals and window seals - seems to be of poorer quality on South American built models, German built cars don't seem to be affected. - The seals pull out from the bottom of the window

Don't know how to get a TDI in NewYork - drive up to Canada and buy one ;-)... Or New Jersey.

I've looked at all the other small cars, since I want to buy a brand new car soon... Nothing else makes me want to actually own one. Corolla's seem well built but they don't inspire me to drive them, don't like the image of the Honda Civic (the whole tuner scene), the Mazda 3 is a solid value, but the styling will be dated too quickly, and the taillight are too "Altezza style" for me, the Elantra isn't too bad, again, the lack of inspriration thing. Sentra is a cheap POS... The other American and Korean cars seem out of date.

Car for me would be the Jetta TDI Sport

100hp Pumpe Duse diesel engine 5 speed manual Sports seats from the GTI - with heaters Leather 3 spoke steering wheel, and leather shift knob/handbrake cover 16" wheels Sport badging

Or just get another Golf TDI GLS - I bought a used 99.5 - I can't go downmarket again, i'm too used to the heated seats, the premium sound system, and the moonroof.

.... too bad I think it's only for Canada, as far as I can tell.

Reply to
Rob Guenther

Only you can decide for yourself on this one...obviously, some people do...some people would rather risk going with a new model (for resale value) vs buying the old model (maybe more stable design)...just a data point for individual to consider...depending on what time frame he was planning on buying.

Reply to
Tom Flynn

Reply to
Rob Guenther