Considering Buying Golf TDI 2002

Hi, I'm planning on buying a 2002 Golf TDI for my wife. She currently is migrating(or at least planning on migrating from) her 1992 Acura Integra to this VW. I have an old A2 Jetta and love it to death. However, I don't know much about the reliability of the new VWs, and especially the diesels. Does anyone know if the new Consumer Reports and JD Power and Associates poor reviews on movest VWs apply to the diesels? Frankly, all this bad press is making me feel that maybe the reliability of my A2 hasn't made it into the new A4s. Can anyone help? I've found this nice deal on the Golf (GL, 2002, manual tranny, air, 4 door, Diesel, 20,000KM) for 20 grand Cdn, and am wondering if I should get it.

Thank You for Your Help

Reply to
Miguel Sanchez

That sounds high.

In the USA that car is worth $13,210 US dollars ($18,300 CA) in a private party sale and would be worth $11,700 as a trade in at dealer, that's $16,200 CA.

In my experience the VW is bad.

I'm on my 5th but after this last one I won't buy another.

The air went, the sunroof went, the rear disc brakes are a nightmare.

The car is rusting out, it's a 96.

Check the prices on parts if something goes wrong. A new TDI injection pump goes for $4000 US, that's not a typo. New injectors are several hundred dollars each.

Unless you drive a zillion miles a year, it isn't worth paying the extra cash for a TDI.

Get yourself a Toyota, it will run forever and won't drive or tow you into the poorhouse.

Reply to
Dave

Reply to
Miguel Sanchez

Yes, it makes allot of sense, and you are wise to go fourth with your intent to purchase a diesel!

Reply to
Peter Cressman

I have an '02 Golf GL TDI 2-door, 5-speed with almost 50,000 miles on it and it has been problem free, except for a minor problem or two: Rear hatch washer fluid leak: fixed under warranty. Burned out headlight bulb: I fixed myself after buying a new replacement bulb from local VW dealer's parts department. Oh, front brakes developed a mild pulsation under light braking that the dealer offered to fx by turning rotors, at my expense. I think I can fix the problem without turning the rotors but the symptom is so mild I haven't bothered to even attempt my fix yet.

Car runs better now than it ever has, seems to get stronger and stronger as miles add up.

I changed the oil/filter at 1000 miles and every 5000 mile mark since then, using Mobil 1 Delvac 5W-40 synthetic oil and have all regularly scheduled services performed at dealer's service department.

Minor complaint: Doors leak wax at bottom of door when weather very hot.

Can't comment much on the price. You have to research the used TDI market and in fact the used car market and see what it is like. Probably depressed since all the new car incentitives cause used car prices to fall.

Have car checked out by qualified shop and have the tech note any things that need attention. Say brakes: Have tech give you an estimate of the cost of the work and then use that to adjust your researched price for the car.

Sincerely,

MarcW.

Miguel Sanchez wrote:

Reply to
Marc Warden

I too am watching this thread cause I'm interested in a TDI. but it will be repalcing a 1995 Nissan Maxima with 176000 miles (283000Km) that I fully expect to go to 200000 miles. It has has 2 tuneups (plugs / filters) and tires and brakes and muffler and thats it. It's going to be hard to beat but I like the idea of diesel and right now VW is the only choice.

so keep those comments coming and thanks Stu

Reply to
Stu
1995 Maxima is a better car than any VW out there as far as long term ownership expences. This level of reliability will not be matched by any VW. Maxima is easy to service and is loved by many mechanics.

VWs are very akward in service, require special tools, use low quality sensors and have to be serviced religiously...

Cars are relatively cheap, gas is still relatively cheap, but repairs and labor are very expensive. Why take a chance ?

Reply to
Alex