Control rod possibly more damaged, how much money? Also, what is a good 15" touring tire

Hello

Yesterday I had the unfortunate opportunity to have to avoid a traffic accident. A speeder was rounding a bend fast, using my lane to overcompensate for his turn. I was coming down a hill, and there was a street to my left, so I went into the left hand lane and tried to make the turn onto the street to avoid the car (Since it seemed easier to do a long left bend, then swinging back into my lane and doing the sharp right hand turn). Well I made it... ALMOST, but not before my right front wheel nailed the curb at about 30 kph, ABS fully on, wheel trying to execute a hard left turn (I put the brakes on quite late, hoping I would scrub off enough speed doing the actual turn itself, I wanted all the traction I could for steering... but when the car understeered on the looser ashphalt I nailed the brake pedal hard... it almost made the turn, all I needed was another

1/2 meter).

As you can imagine the rod that holds the wheel camber (control rod?) was completely destroyed, and my rim looks beaten up... The car was driveable to the point that I could make it 2 kms to the VW dealership at about 15kph. But I had to hold the steering wheel a revolution to the left, and it was very loose on centre. I could hear a grinding noise when I backed up once, but it never came back. My dad, who I called and followed me said my wheel was wobbling pretty badly.

How much money is a steering system on a 1999.5 Golf? I think the rack itself should be okay, might just be a control rod, and some tie rods or something. Plus a wheel alignment. I can get a good deal on a new rim (I have connections with a VW tuner who has a ton of stock 15" alloys lying around).

I think now I want to invest in better tires (I am using cheap Kumho tires that are only rated 89 for load, car needs 91, and only rated to 180kph, car needs 210 or 220kph rated tire, according to the manual, I did not buy these tires, they came with the car as brand new tires when I bought it used this spring). I need something that grips well in dry and wet, and is decent in the winter as well (Southern Ontario... I never really have to drive in awefull snow... but sometimes it can't be helped... sometimes you just have to drive before snowplows can get out)

Reply to
Rob Guenther