Cool car sighting

While on vacation in England a couple of weeks ago I saw a current-model VW Caddy. The front end was an A4 Golf, while from the B pillar to the tail it was a van. The badge said it had a TDI engine. I wanted to take pictures, but this was on the M4 motorway between Reading and Swindon and I already had my hands full.

I want (and could actually use) one, but VW don't seem to sell utes here in Canada. The only VW utes I've ever seen here have been decrepit A1s. Cute as hell, but definitely an endangered species...

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
Laura Halliday

Erm, the current Caddy is based on the Skoda Felicia Pick-Up.

So you're either mistaken or someone had been doing some serious bodywork modifications.

Reply to
SteveH

You should be getting the Touareg, no? Not really the same thing, but still...

-- Mike Smith

Reply to
Mike Smith

There is allso the Caddy which is based on the Polo together with it's sister the Seat Inca. The Caddy pickup is the Felicia pickup.

Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

Or the new Caddy

(German site) Remco

Reply to
Remco Meeder

That was the Pick-Up Version, the van-like version was based on the seat ibiza. At the moment there is no pick-up, at least not in germany.

The current model looks like this - "Kastenwagen" - no windows in the back:

and this is the "Kombi" with windows in the back

This view resembles the A4 look

in short words: looks disgusting - like everything VW build after the A2.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

Shudder. I'm looking for a ute so I can carry things around, like telescopes and radio gear. I'm not looking for a Stupid Useless Vehicle so I can be a pretentious twit. :-)

This is pretty much what I saw:

Obvious VW genetics, though it can sometimes be hard to tell just what bits and pieces went in to a particular vehicle...

Skoda, huh?

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "Que les nuages soient notre Grid: CN89mg pied a terre..." ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - Hospital/Shafte

Reply to
Laura Halliday

if it looked like this

from the front, it is the just superseded caddy (in germany that is) which was based on a seat ibiza front end (which also did serve for the polo classic - read: sedan over here). Whereas the pick-up version was based on a skoda, using the felicia front - but the pick-up version is dicontinued at the moment, again for germany that is.

Ingo

Reply to
Ingo Braune

How about a Diesel Jetta Wagon? Or a Subaru Forester [ perhaps the XT? ;)]. A Baja with shell?

- D.

Reply to
TransFixed

I'd bet that it's based on the Touran people carrier and therefore it's A5 based.

Reply to
Matt B.

Of the VWs officially available to you in Canada, methinks you need a Eurovan or a Transporter, esp. since the latter was available in diesel form.

Reply to
Matt B.