Coolant loss in my 2004 Jetta tdi please help

My Jetta has 55000 miles on it. Back in june my warning light came on coolant low. I topped it off with coolant from WalMart 50/50 rated for any car. Since then I might go 800 miles and it will go off. The next time I might go 500. Recently it has gone off at 250. I have added almost a gallon over about 10000 miles of use. I have checked the oil and of course have changed it and found no coolant in it, nor is there oil in the coolant. I have gone all over and under the car and can find no loss of coolant. I took it to a mechanic he found nothing and said to take it to dealer which is 100 miles away. Another mechanic said dont worry if it has a leak it will show sooner or later. I called the dealer and the service manager said if it wasnt getting hot, it runs fine and there was no evident leaks that it couldn,t be a headgasket problem. He said he would pressure test it but that if that wasnt the problem that I would have to pay for it myself. I am about to loose it worrying about this as I just started a new job that requires commuting and cant afford donwn time on the car. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Reply to
RPR

Sounds like a possible head gasket problem, though they are not a major problem on VWs and not at your mileage. Do you notice any white "smoke" coming from the tailpipe that would indicate coolant being burned off? Have you checked all the hoses for slow leaks? What about the coolant flange? They were infamous for leaks in the late 90s. You really need to find a good mechanic - and get it pressure tested. Try here:

jpmccormac

If its an automatic it probably has an EGR cooler, near the turbo, and water loss from there is "invisible" as it goes out the exhaust. Has been an issue with Passats. Checkout

Rgds

Reply to
Alec

Go under the dashboard inside the car and peel the carpeting back from the firewall. You might have a leaky heater coil where the coolant is leaking under the carpet. this would explain all your observations no oil in coolant, no white smoke and no coolant in the oil. If this is the problem, might I suggest a new mechanic also?

Reply to
Vin

There's a known issue with the coolant level sensor. Coolant can bypass the seal in the plug and go into the wiring harness. Check for wetness or corrosion in the plug. One solution is to drill a drain hole at the base of the plug-socket. See

Wake