Cost to replace a 1.8T engine?

Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a used '02 Passat w/ 108k miles on a 1.8T engine where the timing belt broke on the freeway. I understand that there is a chance -- however small -- that the whole engine may need to be replaced. I'd like to be prepared for the worst-case-scenario. How much would that cost, roughly? I'd have it done professionally, we we're talking parts & labor. I'd be open to getting either a used or rebuilt engine.

Do you have any recommendations for places to get a used or a rebuilt engine? (I'm in Southern California).

Thanks.

Reply to
jbk

You might find an used engine for $2600.00 and have it installed for $1200.00 if you are lucky. Maybe a rebuilt engine or new one for $4-6,000. Remember that the crankshafts are different for the stick trans and the auto trans.

Just a wild guess on my part! ;-)

I think you can have yours redone, minimum head rebuilt but you want to check out the piston tops too when the cyl. head is off. Cylinder head can be pulled easily if you have that Poly-Drive Head Bolt Socket. If the Passat is cheap enough......buy it!

Two passat groups on yahoo you can join if you want to find out more about Passats.

There are other Passat-specific areas too like

dave AKA vwdoc1