creaking sound when putting into 1st gear... (unless done ridiculously gently) help pls

hi ppl... yeah, i'm not sure on this, but the previous owner, for unknown reason, cut a piece of plywood to fit over the spare tire and cover the whole trunk (hatchback model) and I was first under the impression it was just the firm plywood not "giving" with the rest of the frame when you put it into first...but the creaking seems to extend a little farther to the front than you would expect if it was that...you can hear it under and just behind the front seats...

this car went into a ditch with previous owner with just a scratch along door and the front vinyl thing under the bumper torn a bit...is it possible that some drive elements got bent a bit... theres a slight movement in steering well when you take your hands off it at low speed/gear

thanks for reading this in advance my friends..

Rez

Reply to
Rez O'Nance

none2u

ok thanks... didn't want to get too lengthy in my description the car is pretty new..a 95 but with only 30,000 km on it...

i assume that with a quality car like a vw, >Hello, A creaking noise is near impossible to respond to because it could

Reply to
Rez O'Nance

Damaged or worn shift linkage? Bad 1st gear synchro?

Hard to say.

Reply to
tylernt

Damaged or worn shift linkage? Bad 1st gear synchro?

Hard to say.

Reply to
tylernt

ok thx for the effort..

Reply to
Rez O'Nance

Clutch pedal spring? or Throw-out bearing but that would be noisy and you would feel the grinding in the pedal.

Reply to
Peter Parker

A shift busing kit for your car is only about $10. You might also try greasing the big rod that runs up from the shifter to the trans. Grease it where it goes through that big support bushing attached to the body. White lithium grease would work OK but molybdenum grease would be best.

Bill

78 Rabbit...10/77 - 4/02 82 Convertibles(s)...since 93 95 Golf GL...since 11/99 02 Passat 1.8T Tip GLS...since 4/02
Reply to
William Maslin