Cruise Control

I have a '97 Jetta GL, auto, with 122K miles, and discovered recently that the cruise control didn't seem to be working. I'm not a big user of the feature, but it was nice to have around. The thing just didn't engage when I employed the toggle on the turn signal. I was wondering if this is a common experience; if it's likely a failure of the function or something simpler, like a screwed up connection or a blown fuse. I don't necessarily want to pay to have it repaired but if it's a really simple matter...

Thanks for any light you can shed.

Johannes

Reply to
Johannes Parchman

Yes, but not as common as coil pack arcing.

Mine was the electronic module. Use google -- groups to find postings.

Reply to
Tom's VR6

may or may not be a easy fix, but some diag is needed first. May be- pedal switches, hoses, wires, fuse, ECU, etc.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I put the cruise control from an '86 Jetta into my '87 GTI (which did not come with cruise). I found that the cruise switch I have needs to be pressed really hard to make contact. Same thing with the MFA switch when I first got my car. The latter got better with use.

Try giving the cruise button an extra hard push and see if it helps.

Reply to
Randolph

Well, I've never had a coil pack fail in my '95 Passat VR6 (110K miles), but I did have the electrical portion of the brake pedal cruise control switch fail that prevented the unit from engaging. Both the clutch and brake pedals have combination vacuum/electric switches that disengage the cruise when either pedal is pressed. Easy to check the electrical portion--just pull the connector and jumper the pins, and road test.

Reply to
CSS

Good observation.

a procedure that convinced me that it was the module. I didsuspect a switch, and even took one apart thinking it might beintermittent. But it was the module. The module was not where Bentley said. It was near the headlight switch reached from beneath.

If you decide it is a module, you might try

Tom's VR6

Back from the weekend (sans Cruise Control)...thanks, all, for your help.

Johannes.

Reply to
Johannes Parchman