CV front right Drive Shaft question - 86 Golf Diesel

I found two parts. One 90mm the other 100mm. Which one is correct? any ideas.

John

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

I would guess that your 1986 Diesel will be 90mm and I think the 100mm CV Joints came out in 1988 for the non-high performance VWs.

none2u will know!

You can always measure the outer diameter of the CV Joints. ;-)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

would you recommend switching out the CV Axle assembly or just the CV Joint? I researched the axle assembly is about $70.00 and the CV Joint is about the same. I'm a little confused. When the road is rough, the axle clunks. past owner said to replace the axle.

Reply to
86GolfDiesel

If you replace the CV joint you will have a new oem joint. If you replace the axle you will get remanufactured joints. Probably. New oem joints might last longer. Last time I tried to get an axle for my car they kept shipping them with the wrong size outer joint. I had to replace the boot on the old joint and just repack it with fresh grease.

Reply to
Jim Behning