Cylinder numbering /can't see TDC mark on the flywheel

What is the cylinder numbering on VW? I got a passat 91, if I open the hood and face the engine, which one is going to be the first cylinder? Do not laugh, I am just double checking, I am replacing the timing belt/tensioner DYI, can't see and align the TDC mark on the flywheel, so I assume that I can stick in a screwdriver in the cylinder #1 through the spark plug hole and get the same result when it is popped up all the way. (BTW can I ?)

DG

Reply to
dmitri.grandmaison

Number 1 is on the timing belt end. That is left side as you face the engine. (I am assuming this is a 16V engine). You can stick a screwdriver in there and get to TDC, however it may not be timed properly. To time this properly, get TDC up on the flywheel. This is a "O" on the crankshaft and it aligns with the pointer on the bell housing. Alternatively, you can align the mark on the crank pully with the lower cover. Pull the valve cover off the engine find the mark on the inner side of the pulley. Rotate camshaft so that this mark lies flush with the aluminum valve cover surface at the front of the cylinder head. if this cannot be seen, replace valve cover and look for a mark on the outside of the puller and align this with the pointer on the valve cover. The intermediate shaft does not time on a 16V engine. Mount the belt keeping the marks aligned. Tighten the adjuster. Rotate the engine 2X BY HAND to see if it is timed properly. If not the engine will stop. Your camshaft is in wrong position. Properly tightened belt can be hand twisted between the pulleys about

45 degrees. If the marks do not align, redo the entire thing. The maximum amount of mis-timing allowed is 1 tooth.
Reply to
Randolph Latall

You might, if you trust that mark of paint. Better would be to have a look at the cams on cylinder nr 1, and balance both intake and exhaust equally as far as possible from the valves.

Reply to
al

Thank you for the detailed post. Once more question, I got a paint mark on the camshaft pulley, not on the inner side but on outer side. Can I use that instead of the inner mark and align with the triangular mark on the valve cover (basically pointing it on 12 o'clock direction)?

DG

Reply to
dmitri.grandmaison