Dealer Lied about NB

I just found out that when I bought my new 2002 NB Turbo last year that it was really used. The car died and I needed roadside assistance from VW. When I called them I was told that I was not the owner of my NB. They inadvertently gave me the name and town of the owner they had on record. I contacted her and sure enough she bought my car new in March of 2002. She returned it 700 miles later due to electrical problems. The dealer exchanged it for a new one.

I bought this same car in March of 2003 as a 2002 leftover with 1,300 "Demo" miles on it. I was told that the owner's wife drove it. The car was sold to me as new when it was really used and returned. the original owner still has her original bill of sale and is sending it to me. I've had many problems with this car (2002 NB Turbo Concept Riveria Blue) I'm not sure what the bet course of action is. I have my proof and the car now has

11,000 miles on. Any ideas? DB
Reply to
D&LBusch

- Decide what you want (new car/ discount/ money back/ free oil changes)

- Contact the dealer

- Call your states attorney General

- Bug the dealer more

- Contact VW USA

- Bug VW USA a little

- Talk to lawyer

Reply to
Baudolino

There's some serious messing around going on here. According to the Lemon Law, if it's even valid where you live, the dealer can't be forced to exchange a vehicle unless the same problem has needed repair more than 3 times in a single year. So taking back that car after 700 miles and only 1 electrical repair seems strange. Secondly, it's required in all 50 states that any place of business make it clear and known to the buyer *before* the purchase if an item is used or in any way refurbished. My question to you is, how did you not notice 700 miles on the odometer when you first looked at the car? Not that it changes the fact that you were swindled, but I'd notice 700 miles on a car being sold as new. Want advice? Contact a lawyer, TOMORROW. Don't dilly dally around, and don't drive the car. Not only will you probably get your money back, you can probably put this dealer out of business. I bet you'll get a hell of a discount on your next purchase if you threaten to bring suit aganist VWoA too.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

Reply to
Randolph

Can we all spell "fraud?"

Contact the consumer protection division of your state's Attorney General's office. They should go to bat for you. If what you wrote is true, that dealer will be facing criminal charges.

Reply to
Sid Schweiger

Not sure if you are located in the US or not.

But if you are in the US, I'd contact the Attorney General's office where you live and inquire about filing a consumer affairs complaint.

Reply to
Dave

You should have no problem with this one. Maybe before contacting the Attorney General, Fox New,CNN and you local papers, you should talk to the stealership about replacing you Beetle and throw in a pair of Passat's W-8 fully loaded just for good measure. Tell them that with lifetime warantee on all three vehicles, could induce a case of amnesia on the first transaction. Good Luck.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Reply to
D&LBusch

Even so, state laws in all 50 states require that the buyer be made aware if the product is in any way used or refurbished. This was a blatant violation.

Reply to
Steve Grauman

700 is nothing in PA. You can demo a "new" vehicle up to 6000 miles and still sell it as a new "demo" vehicle. The original poster found out that his so called "demo" is not a demo but a returned "used" vehicle. Lemon law is typically good 1 year or 12K miles and with a good lawyer he could either get his money back or sue for fraud. I would sue for fraud and settle for something reasonable. The key is to get a good lawyer. Most lawyers suck and are not good enough for something like this. Fraud is fraud and I would contact the Attorney General and a lawyer on this.
Reply to
Peter Parker

I agree. Who knows. Maybe the dealer was procrastinating on the title work to see if the first owner would keep it and not notice the problems. It could be that they actually did demo it in the beginning and the owners wife found that it had electrical issues so they just put it back on the lot.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Boy this is going to HURT for the dealer. The ay I define DEMO is the car was driven and still owned by the dealer. Not sold once and then resold as a demo. The warranty started when the first owner purchased and since you are the second owner some things may be different.

Good luck I dislike salesmen's and I work for a dealer.

Reply to
Woodchuck

What dealer did you get this "deal" from?

Reply to
Jerritt

If this car was sold as a demo, it means just that "A Demonstrator", not titled to anyone but VWoA and still a candidate for all factory warranties, starting with the mileage that you purchased it at. It is not a USED CAR but a New Demo. Road Side Assistance has absolutely nothing to do with this if it was truly a DEMO. It only becomes a USED CAR when it has been titled (sold) to someone else and re-sold.

If what you say is true, it was sold and titled to someone else before you came along, it is not a DEMO, but a USED CAR. And if in fact the dealer accepted it back due to defects and then re-sold it as a DEMO (i.e.: New Car), someone has a huge problem and it ain't you. I would love to know what state you are in, I know some people including myself who may be able to retire off of this one.

If you have documentation stating it was a DEMO as well as the paperwork from the previous owner, then by all means contact an attorney at once, You can also due a title search through your MVA as well as Car-Fax to confirm that it was truly titled to someone else, just some more ammunition in your corner.

Good Luck, let us know how you make out.

Butch

Reply to
Anton382

Actually you are incorrect. The warranty starts at the "in service" date. This also "includes" demos. At least it does for domestic vehicle dealers.

Stay in the service side of the house. Your "foot in mouth" when it comes to the sales SOP stuff. :-)

heh!

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
D&LBusch

Incorrect from what was told to me. In service date "includes" the day the vehicle started off the lot as a demo. Vehicles can have up to 6000 miles while they are demos and still be sold as new. The warranty starts the day it was driven off the lot as a demo....

Reply to
Peter Parker

RELEASE THE FLESH EATING LAWYERS!!!!

:-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

As satisfying as it may initially be, don't start off yelling at the dealer.

Call them up. "I found out that there was a mixup at your dealership, and one of your salesmen accidentally sold me a used car as a new one."

Let them save face. Give them an out where they can easily blame a miscommunication rather than accuse them of outright fraud.

If you don't get exactly what you want--and I'm thinking you're in a pretty good position to trade your used car for a brand new one--then say something to the effect of, "Hmm." And just let the dead silence build. See what other offers they come up with. You're operating from a position of strength. Force them to tell you what they're going to do. And then force them to come up with something better.

If they refuse to budge then involve the attorney general for your state. "I'm not sure that's fair to me. Do you mind if I see what the law says we should do in a situation like this? I thought we could resolve this just with us, but let me contact the AG's office and see what insight they can offer."

You know it's most likely fraud. We know it's most likely fraud. *They* know it *is* fraud. But you'll probably get what you want with less hassle if you approach it like you're wanting the dealer to correct a simple mistake.

Reply to
brougham5

This is true. But taking this viewpoint to court will result in an argument over semantics. Never before have I heard of a warranty which transfers from the original owner to the next, so that may be a null issue.

Reply to
Steve Grauman