Dealers & locking lug nuts (Passat)

When you take your car to VW and they need to pull a wheel, do they use the "key" from your vehicle, or do they have their own?

I am asking because I took my car today to patch a nail hole and I was told that my lug nut key is missing! It was there when THEY put on four new tires last fall. The only other opportunity for it to go missing was my state vehicle inspection in March. My state requires them to pull one wheel to inspect the brakes. The dealer did this inspection, so I need to know if it is more likely the tire dealer lost it or the VW dealer lost it.

In any event, does anybody know how much $$ is involved in getting a new one?

Thanks!

B. G.

Reply to
B. Goodman

The lesson here is don't drive away until you've checked that you got it back.

Whever you bring your car anywhere, it's in your best interest to eyeball the work done and make sure that any special keys etc. given to the servicer are returned. Don't just write a check and drive away.

Reply to
Matt B.

Either you can buy a new key from the dealer at around $30 or so, or if you search Ebay you can purchase an entire new set of locking bolts with a key!

Not sure which one you need, so please research before bidding!!

dave

also a bunch here almost over though!

dave Reminder........ Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you are a mile away from them, and you have their shoes. Frieda Norris

Reply to
dave

Dealers have a master set which sure beats emptying all the crap out of customers trunks and hope the key is there.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for all the help. Turns out that the tire merchant finally "found" the key. He said it had rolled out of the pouch into the floorboard of the car! Of course, I let him save face, because clearly the key would have had quite a problem getting past the VELCO FLAP that holds it in! Surely he just didn't realize that the key was in a separate compartment in the little pouch.

Nonetheless, I'll be checking for that key from now on any time it gets used in doing a repair.

Again, thanks!

Reply to
B. Goodman