dealers slow getting parts?

Is there an issue with dealers getting parts from VW these days?

Three weeks ago I took my 2000 Passat GLX wagon in to the local service department for a noise in the front end. (I still had some extended warranty left) They said it was a strut, but they only had one in stock, they'd get the other in shortly. In the meantime, it was safe to drive.

A week later I call asking about the part, because I needed the car for a lengthy trip starting Sept 10. (you see where this is going) The service guy checks Parts and no it's not in yet. I proceed to STOP BY on my way home last Wednesday and Thursday. No, but it will definitely be in Friday.

So I drop the car off this Tuesday. The part wasn't in, nor did it come in. Yesterday, no part. They got me a rental for the day, but if the strut is not in TODAY, I'm screwed for a vehicle for this weekend. (I have to carry a roof rack with a cargo box that already fits my VW) I plan on asking these guys if they're giving me a loaner for the weekend, since they can't seem to get a shock for a 4 year old VW!

My trip is 1000 miles round trip, I suppose I'd be stupid to try and do it with a bad strut, right?

BTW, the dealer is Joe Holland in South Charleston, WV.

Reply to
Mike

In the past when I order parts from the dealer I get them in a few days. Just parts I needed working on old vws. Even the parts for my new car for warranty work come in a few days. The sevice department calling to notify me that the parts are there is another story.

Are the struts just making some noise or are they totally blown out? if they just make some noise I would not work. If they no longer dampen they I would be a bit more concerned.

Your warranty still has a number of miles/m>Is there an issue with dealers getting parts from VW these days?

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

It makes a noise on the right side when I brake and turn right, or when going over a rough patch, kind of a clunk noise. But I need to drive about

1200 miles this weekend (WV to Alabama and back). I haven't noticed a problem with physical damping. My problem is needing to haul this Thule cargo box, I'm shooting a job for a friend who also has a Passat wagon so the rack and box are his. If I rent something else, I need to make sure I can take this stuff.

As for the warranty, when I took it in the service guy said he wrote it up as a warranty job ($50 deductible) so when the parts came in it would be fixed under warranty. So that should NOT be an issue.

Their parts delivery is about 11am so I plan on being there to see if they've got the parts in.

Reply to
Mike

Just stopped by, part still not in but maybe this afternoon. In the meantime, I checked on my car, pushing on the fenders the car seems to bounce back OK on both sides, with no noises. Whattaya think? I'm pretty desperate at this point.

Reply to
Mike

Check

and the Passat forum on
Some older Passats and Audi A4s have been experiencing suspension arm bushing failures.

But, it does seem like something's up with the dealer service dept. They don't seem to care about incoveniencing you or providing you with a proper explanation. And this is one of the reasons that VW is struggling in the US: crappy dealers. But VW doesn't have the market cornered on bad dealers. It seems like almost all manufacturers have this problem. Fortunately, our VW dealer (Quality VW in Tuscaloosa AL) is excellent. Maybe you need to call the district representative or VWOA.

Bill

Reply to
William Maslin

I intend to give management some hell, we bought both a VW and a Chevy truck from the same dealership, and they recently built a snazzy new service department they keep bragging about in radio commercials. (they are also building a big new showroom) I'll let em know, and especially the sales guys, that they've lost a future customer cause Parts and Service can't seem to get their acts coordinated.

Reply to
Mike

Our parts come every 2 days, so unless the part is on back order it should take anymore than a week to get.

Reply to
Woodchuck

Thanks for the suggestion, I looked at my bushings after looking at the pictures at <

> CB5 Forums -> General B5Discussion > New Brakes & Shocks = trouble.....help and my bushings look OK to me.

Reply to
Mike

The guys said they got a shipment the other day with two boxes, but only one box had a strut in it, the other box was empty. I dunno who's screwing up, I asked the service guy if they'd paid their bills! OTOH, if I only have one problem strut, do I need both sides replaced, and is there really a difference between left and right?

Reply to
Mike