Deluxe Audio: 1997 Golf

I just bought a used 1997 VOlkswagen Golf Jetta (very happy!). It has a deluxe audio package and I'd like to upgrade the head unit. The speakers will stay for now (don't worry, they will be replaced-later). Can I use all 8 speakers with a new head unit? How should I go about this? I know there are 4 "regular" speakers and 2 tweeters in the back, but what are other 2 on the dash for? They sound like tweeters to me, but seem pretty large to be so. Anyways, I guess what I really want to know is how everything is connected to the factory head unit. I haven't been able to locate a wiring diagram, so I don't even know if there are crossovers or anything in the system...I'd like to know these things beforehand, since I don't have the code for the factory unit so I want to be sure of everything before I start so I don't have to go without a stereo for a length of time. If anyone has some experience here, or suggestions, I'd really appreciate some input. Thanks!

Reply to
redled

Not sure if european wiring is same as US but your head unit supplies power to 4 speakers only, so the 4 in the back are connected to 2 speaker wires connected to the head unit. Then 2 speaker wires provide power to the 4 speakers in the front, hench you can make the front and back louder and quieter with the balance etc. I've currently got 6 speakers in the back connected to the 2 rear head unit connections, 2 parcel shelf and the standard door and 2 tweeters, then the 4 in the front connected to the front head unit connection. It's just a standard block that connect's directly into the back of the head unit. You may need to get an adaptor from a car shop to fit the new stereo. But to check what adaptor or if you need one you'll need to yank the old head unit out to have a look. good luck.

Reply to
Joe

"Joe" wrote in news:bofoi7$nvb$ snipped-for-privacy@news6.svr.pol.co.uk:

Thanks! That helps out. Now, I may have had an idea: instead of having a head unit at all, use a small form factor pc to do all the work, and an lcd (that can slide in and out of the din slot) to interface with it. It would be trivial to connect the pc to the lcd, and a few buttons to control it. There are nice usb devices available to control multimedia applications. You could plugin a regular keyboard and mouse to configure it, though. It would also not be a huge problem to use a couple of amps and crossovers to wire the existing speakers. In fact, I think this would work very nicely if the pc had 5 channel output and you added a sub into the mix. Now, there's only three problems left. To transfer files (like mp3) to the car, you could have a wireless network card in there. A usb device should be used so you can place the antenna in a good location without running a long coaxial cable for the analogue signal. Better to not use a coaxial cable at all and have a long usb cable instead, to avoid interference problems. To make this a nice system, it has to be simple to control. I'll have to look, but I think there are software solutions already existing for this kind of thing. The last problem is radio: I want am and fm, preferrably using the factory antenna. If i can lick this problem, I think I've selected a new summer project. Oh yeah, price may be an issue too :/

Reply to
redled

I just bought a $320 sony stereo that play's MP3's, don't you get LW over in the US??? It's great getting French and German's talking on your radio :) Oh ya it's got a cool remote too. I also got free fitting with it, but didn't need it, should go back and ask for some money off.

Just a thought though for your system, will a thief want to rip out? :( I've got a removable face plate for this exact reason.

Reply to
Joe