diesel fuel aeddditive?

Hi. I love my 98 Jetta TDI. Now that winter's here in central PA, I would like to ask the group about fuel additives...to prevent gelling/provide whatever benefit(added lubrication, etc.). I had been using a product for years, but ran out and can't recall the product name.

Sorry to repeat what may be an often asked question, but TIA for any advice forthcoming. This group's been most helpful in the past.

Regards, Bob

Reply to
rbclmt

Check check at the stations which fuel trucks a lot as they usually treat the fuel in the cold months.

Reply to
Woodchuck

I don't use any additives in my diesel, but cold where I live might be

10 degrees F. A great additive >Hi. I love my 98 Jetta TDI. Now that winter's here in central PA, I would

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

Reply to
Rob Guenther

In most places, including Central Pa. You really don't need it, assuming your fuel is not left over from last summer, as the fuel you buy is already conditioned. However I tend to buy one bottle of the stuff each year and start using it when it gets really cold and I know my car may get that cold. Likely not needed, but it also gets a load of cleaners through there also and it is not much trouble or cost.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The added anti-gel properties, added lubricity and added cetane boost of a GOOD additive is worth the $$$.

In fact the cetane boost will increase the mileage and partly pay for itself! In addition with the shi**y fuel in the US the additive helps the fuel burn cleaner and reduces smoke which is good for the environment and the engine.

Reply to
D. Dub

I do see a little reduction of smoke, on hard accelerate, which is the only time I see it. However I have never seen any increase in mileage.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I always used Power Service, the one in the white and black bottle. More important than the additive is getting your fuel from a good source with a lot of turnover -- i.e., a truck stop. My '85 diesel Jetta always ran best on Shell fuel. I always figured that with only 52 HP, you needed every single one of those horses, and it was more sensitive to bad fuel -- but whatever the reason, the right fuel makes a difference much more with a diesel than a gas engine.

Reply to
Brian Running