diesel injection pump leak?

Hello, All!

I have a 81 rabbit and it had been sitting for a couple of weeks. I started it the other day and there was a pretty good leak of fuel coming from vicinity of the pump. I couldn't spot exactly where, but it's not from a line. Any ideas? Are there seals that can go bad? Easy fix?

Thanks

With best regards, dukecola. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net

Reply to
dukecola

Mine leaked opposite of the cold start lever. Just an "O" ring but I had to buy the complete seal kit ($30) to get one. Be very careful as it is spring loaded under the cap. Easy but be careful. None of the parts/seals are labeled - you must match with old one - new one was colored green in my kit.

By the way, I bought and installed a NAPA low pressure (~6 psi) "tick-tick" (Solenoid style) fuel pump ($44) because I was losing prime and installed it between tank fuel line and before filter. Took power from fuel solenoid so it primed pump when key is on, that is how I saw the leak. I could not tell when it was running as fuel appeared all over the bottom of the main pump.

Mike

Reply to
Mike L